1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good non-mainstream beers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chester, Mar 22, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've seen a lot of varieties in Florida, with Dead Guy Ale the most predominant.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Can't vouch for myself since I haven't tried any, but I've heard good things about Capital Brewery beers (Middleton, Wis.):

http://www.capital-brewery.com/ourbeers/index.html

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

I don't know if we're only discussing domestic micros, but Samuel Smiths out of England (Yorkshire maybe) is probably among the best beer I've had. Doesn't matter what brew. They're all fantastic.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i will repeat: dead guy is rogue's shittiest beer.

5. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

I'm biased since I once called the Frozen Tundra home, but Alaska Brewing Company makes some fine, fine beers. The smoked porter and winter ale are simply ... well, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Deschutes Brewery, in Bend, Ore., is outstanding as well. Obsidian Stout and Black Butte Porter in particular, though their seasonal Jubelale is great as well.

BridgePort Brewing Company out of Portland, Ore., is fantastic. Blue Heron Pale Ale and the IPA made me glad to be alive.

Last year, Mrs. Tundra and I visited Rogue Brewery in Newport, Ore. I didn't want to leave. So, so, so many good beers there. They've become somehat mainstream ... I can even get them here in Florida.

Left Hand Brewing Company out of Colorado is great too ... love their Sawtooth Ale and the Milk Stout.

Damn. I could write about this all day. But really, as someone mentioned earlier, the best places are the brewpubs that make their own, combined with food and ambiance. At BridgePort, the missus and I had many beers, as well as big, soft pretzels made on site and served with mustards crafted right there. Nearly gave up my job and moved across the country, just to be closer to the damned place.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We have one of those here. How I adore it. The pretzel and mustard is awesome, and the beer list is amazing.

7. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

My jealousy is endless.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Keeping with the frozen tundra theme, if any NFL reporters have Green Bay on the itinerary, check out Titletown Brewing Co. downtown along the river. It's an old train depot turned into a pub/restaurant with its own line of beers.

The oatmeal stout is quite tasty.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bells Oberon.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

My cousin went to Denver and brought me back some Flying Dog beer. I've heard it was good, but I didn't like the first kind I tried--Barley and Wine Style Ale. I've got some Amber Lager of theirs I have to try--I'm sure I will like that.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Was that the Bridgeport brewhouse in the Pearl District?

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Dead Guy Ale, a lovely Rogue concoction, is fantastic and available in the Northeast. Or at least in the area where I live.

Draft saved Draft deleted