1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good news (for once) in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True. You could say the same thing about them possibly not wanting to re-hire someone who has been treated like that by the company.

The Tribune did the right thing for once... Janet Coats, you go girl!

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Just because a layoff/employee departure gets handled badly at the time when it's going on doesn't mean the paper/editors necessarily wanted to get rid of somebody. They probably also weren't happy with how things went down, or that they, or the employee, had to go through it.

Hindsight, and all that, you know?

And, people can and do get over things --not always, of course, but often...particularly when it involves a more pressing or expedient need like a job/career/livelihood.

3. Mizzougrad96

Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled for Scott.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I hear ya.

The other thing that probably brings people back in cases like this, though, is the fact that the person never wanted to leave -- either by force, or otherwise -- in the first place.

The strength and power of that sentiment should not be discounted, almost no matter what happened before.

5. Gonzo24

Gonzo24 New Member

Anybody hear anything in regards to the opening for a new Rays beat writer?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, I heard they're filling it. But aren't doing any relocation costs and aren't flying anyone in. All phoners.
    But they are filling it.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm hoping Gaddis is the favorite.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Pipeline:

Roger Mooney was hired by the Tampa Tribune for Rays coverage. Figured I'd let you know since I noticed there hadn't been any updates on the Tampa thread in a couple of weeks. Roger covered the Rays and Bucs and every other thing you could possibly imagine for the Bradenton Herald over the last 10 years. One of the hardest workers you'll ever meet. He deserves this gig.

9. johnminko

johnminko New Member

Truer words have never been spoken.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Good for Roger. He's a helluva hard worker and a good writer. Nice move for the Tribune.

11. Prospero

Prospero Member

Agreed. Roger has waited his turn and done a ton of good work with Bradenton. No one has worked harder than him in the state of Florida during the past 10 years. In this era of layoffs and buyouts and furloughs, when questions of employment all too often are decided by factors out of our control (and having nothing to do with our level of merit), it's nice to see someone get a chance that is extremely well-deserved.

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the Tribune make any smart moves in quite some time, but bringing Scott Carter back and bringing Roger Mooney into the fold gives me hope for the future. Great hire, great writer, great person. That applies to both of 'em, but I directly supervised one of 'em, and I couldn't be happier for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted