1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good neighbors...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

There's been countless threads here about rotten, no-good neighbors. And heaven knows, I've had my fair share of them over the years.

But this is about good neighbors. The kind that makes living where you do even better.

We've been hit with lots of snow over the last few days. At least a foot and a half total at the Rosie Homestead. I shoveled, actually snow-scooped, my driveway Sunday morning because the tractor didn't have the plow on it and I couldn't find the key anyways. It's a rather long driveway, took me two and a half hours. Mr. Rosie and the Rosebuds were gone for the weekend. And I'm much too stubborn to wait or ask for help, I'll just take care of it and be done with it.

Fast forward to today. Mr. Rosie is on the road for work, we had lots more snow yesterday, about six inches or so here. My feeling about clearing the drive? Heck with it, I have a 4WD truck, it won't take too many trips before I pack the snow down. Right now, I'm swamped with work (my main job right now is non-journalistic).

I just stopped home to grab a bite to eat and check email before heading back out. My driveway is plowed. Widened, the turn-around has plenty of room, and the end of the driveway, which was full of packed snow from the county plow this morning, was perfect.

I know, because of the tractor tracks, it's one of two neighbors who is guilty of making my day a much happier one.

I think I'll be baking some cookies tonight to bring over.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Totally awesome.

All right, Rosie. :)

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have two neighbors. One kind of sucks. The other helps shovel the walkway, lends tools and assists with mowing the lawn.

Good neighbors are nice.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nice. I have a 60-something-year-old neighbor who plows the entire back alley for our block after big storms, allowing cars to get out of garages. About 10 households owe him cookies every winter.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't have snow or a yard to worry about, but the night I moved into my place the neighbors invited me over to their porch for a couple of beers.

It was a nice, much appreciated gesture.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Something tells me it's a good thing YOU don't live next door to Rosie. :)

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a great story.

I don't see my adult neighbors, but there's always a gaggle of kids of all ages playing at the bottom of my complex's doors. From 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., all I get is arguing and fighting a half-story away. It's lovely.

Only four months until moving day. ...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You SOB doc, you stole my fun...

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

:D ;D

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

The 60-something couple who lives in the house next door to us brought us over chocolates and cookies today that they got during their two-week trip to California. A nice gesture, sure, but made even moreso by the fact that they were there for his father's funeral. The fact that they thought about us and our boys while they were away for a funeral is just too kind. Good neighbors truly do rock.

Draft saved Draft deleted