1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Idea? Or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The sports editor at the college paper wants to interview me for a piece he's doing on the team(s) I cover.

Is it a good idea or bad idea to oblige?

I've quoted other out-of-town reporters for a feature piece I once wrote. I've also been quote in another out-of-town paper about a brawl I saw first-hand. That was AGES ago and I was much, much younger and greener.

Anyway, should I give this guy an interview? Or am I putting myself in a tough spot?

2. Re: Good Idead? Or Bad Idea?

I don't see a problem with it, unless you are in some way in competition with his paper. I guess it would depend on the story being written.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Re: Good Idead? Or Bad Idea?

What's an idead? J/K, Pete.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Re: Good Idead? Or Bad Idea?

i don't see any problem with it unless you're competing against someone. when i have done feature stories or, say, something on a team where a writer has been covering the person or team a good while and has a lot of knowledge, i will quote them. i think it gives another good insight into what i'm writing about.
    i am interviewed every now and then by a local radio sports station, but i always make it a point to stay pretty general and not reveal any type of "scoop" or something that hadn't already appeared in our paper.
    and your situation being a college paper, i see no problem at all.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This sounds like what he was/is working on. He just wanted someone more familiar with the team and conference longterm.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How long have you been covering the team? If it's not more than 10 years or so, I wouldn't do it.

I don't see your take or any writer's take being useful to a college newspaper piece.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I have never, evereverevereverever quoted another reporter in one my stories.

The only instance I could imagine doing so is if I were doing a history piece, on an event that happened yesteryear, and wanted as many first-hand voices as possible.

That said, if the kid wants to do the story, I see no harm in submitting to the interview.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

i've covered this particular team i was mentioning for 20 years. guess they figure i'm the "expert historian" on the place. ha.
    it's the same way with our local radio and tv types..they find out i've covered this team so long, they usually want to chat if there's some been change in coaches, historical moment, etc.
    so be it.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Either help the kid with some quotes, or talk with him about why you believe it's not a good thing to quote other reporters.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes, it is a good teaching moment for the student journalist.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

As long as they don't work the jewelry counter at the local Walmart, I don't see a problem.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it if it's being printed. If it was for a class I would probably do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted