1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good eats in L.A.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by clarkington, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Zsaji

Zsaji New Member

I'd say go to Lawry's, aka home of the Beef Bowl. Gotta figure that there's not a lot of gluten in steak.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In N Out is a must...

Musso and Franks is a tremendous steakhouse...

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Poin has his directions a little skewed. Jack Sprat's is WEST of Rancho Park Golf course on Pico Blvd., but, true, on the same side of the street (SOUTH SIDE). His tips on parking are right on. And Apple Pan is about 2 blocks west on the other (North) side of the street.
    The Buffalo Club in Santa Monica is a new one on me. It's in a really crappy part of town, Olympic and 15th St. I drove past it a few months ago, didn't know what it was, but saw a Valet Parking stand in front of it and wondered why a restaurant with valet parking would be THERE, in the same block as a transmission shop and taco stand.
    It is across the street from Memorial Park, which, in Santa Monica, means Homeless Haven. Many years ago, our company softball team had an 8:30 a.m. game at Memorial. We showed up at 8 and there was a homeless guy sleeping in our dugout. It was Houston McTear, the sprint star.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Tony P's in Marina Del Ray.

For a hole in the wall different thing, try Traktir, it's a Russian storefront joint on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood. Went to both during my trip therel; the latter by accident.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

There's a place called Restaurant Row in Beverly Hills, really West Hollywood. Lots of good places to eat, my favorite is the Stinking Rose. Lots of pasta and Italian dishes and lots of garlic, hence the name. But there are lots of nice places to eat down there, and some not so nice. Lawry's and Tail O the Pup are down there, but as far as I know, not gluten free in any way. Restraurant Row is on the La Cienega and Wilshire.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

But if you're just looking for good burger and fries joint, here's my top five:
    Tommies. There's one in Westwood Village, near UCLA, but others are easy to find too.
    In N Out. All over the place.
    Bob's Big Boy, in Toluca Lake near the studios in Burbank.
    Fatburger, again all over the place.
    Johnny Rockets.
    Good luck.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I used to play in darts league and we played at the Cat and Fiddle on Sunset Blvd. a few times. The owner was a great guy (he was on their darts team) and it was a kick-ass bar. He was a rocker from England, had tons of friends in the biz and the place was full of musicians before and after they went to play at whatever club. I didn't go to Hollywood very often, but if I lived around there, that would have been my hangout.
    Note of note: The Stinking Rose used to be Lawry's. Lawry's move across the street and down a block and The Stinking Rose took over that building.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When did Lawry's move?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

probably not going to get this far north, but the cactus patch just past simi valley has mexican food to die for.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Lawry's moved across the street in 1993.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

If it's all about the protein ... and if you can spend some bucks ... try Fogo de Chao on La Cienega. It's part of the Restaurant Row (in Beverly Hills, NOT West Hollywood).

It's a churrascaria ... a Brazilian restaurant where gauchos/waiters walk around the dining room offering all kinds of meats (beef and more) hot off the skewer. All you can eat. And there's an amazing salad bar too. Pricey, but absolutely outstanding.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I went to a place like that in Vegas. Pampas Brazilian Grille. Outstanding. It was in the Desert Passage mall in front of the Aladdin.

Draft saved Draft deleted