1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good, affordable clothing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 13, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I've found some decent stuff at Target - nice collared shirts, slacks, etc.

And if you want it to sound fancier, you can say you bought it at "Tarjay" with a french accent.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I buy most of my clothes at Dillard's, but only when they're on sale, and everything eventually is. I don't even bother looking at full-price stuff. I head for the 50 percent off rack and really have a good time at the 75 percent off sales. There's also a Half-of-Half store here where I got some Big 12 basketball tournament polos for 99 cents each (I kept one; sold three on eBay) and a great pair of jeans for $9, but it's real hit-or-miss there.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Tarjay? What the fuck is Tarjay!?!? Oh, you mean TARGET! YOU GOT THAT SHIRT AT TARGET?!?!

Nah, I'm actually a big fan of the red dot store.

4. The Commish

The Commish Guest

I was going to echo Lands' End (despite the punctuation). We have Inlet stores nearby, but even not on discount, it can be a good buy.

Men's Wearhouse can be worthwhile, especially for dressy stuff.

I've had hit-and-miss on Kohl's.

5. Mira

Mira Member

There are several Banana Republic Factory Stores around the country, in addition to Gap Outlets. Those are good for men's clothes. Yeah, maybe some of Old Navy's apparel isn't top quality, but you aren't going to be buying suits and dressy things there.

Land's End is also very good, especially for dress shirts and nice men's khakis. I think Sears stores carry the line, but I've had a lot of luck with ordering clothes online. They offer free shipping quite often. Excellent Web site.

6. accguy

accguy Member

I don't have a helluva lot more to add on here. I'm a big fan of outlet malls. Banana Republic and Gap have some really good deals at their outlets. But some of the best deals I have gotten in the last year have been at a J.Crew outlet near one of my road cities on my beat. The clearance area at that baby is golden.

I have also become an ebay convert of late. You can get a lot of name brand stuff (new with tags) for pretty cheap. I got a Lacoste polo that would have been $80 at Macy's for less than $30 with shipping.

On the topic of Macy's. It seems like there are coupons in my paper about every other weekend to get discounts. Sometimes they let you use the coupons on sale stuff.

My whole thing is to get good quality stuff that's on sale. I almost never pay retail for anything. I don't like getting cheap stuff that will fall apart so I look for good stuff that is at a reasonable to cheap price.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I work at Marshalls, so I can tell you the chain is carrying a ton of designer stock right now.

They're having a "Designer Event" so the stores are very heavy on Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Calvin Klein, Perry Elis, etc. It's going on in every department, men's, women's -- even shoes, and will go on for about a week.

They also carry a lot of cute casual stuff, such as Lucky Brand, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Columbia.

Honestly, about 75% of the stuff I wear right now is from Marshalls.

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

I basically only shop at the Banana Republic outlet that's about 15 minutes away from me. Everything in the store is usually at least 40 percent off.

If you wait another 6-8 weeks, there should be lots of good sales come late October/early Novemberish of fall clothes. This is the time of year when places start getting rid of seasonal stuff to get ready for the next. For them, winter isn't that far away.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Most of my clothing comes from three stores: Old Navy, Target (primarily their more "designer" brands) and Filene's Basement. All three have their advantages. Can find a good deal at Marshall's, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted