1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gonna

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm seeing it used in print (quotes, actually) way more than I ever thought I would. It's become a pet peeve for me -- right up there with the unnecessary use of the word 'that.'

I know people say 'gonna' a lot, but isn't typing it out as 'going to' preferable?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't have a problem with it.

To some, it might seem like vernacular. To me, it almost feels like a contraction. I don't sound out the words "I am" when I'm talking; I say "I'm". Same thing with "going to" and "gonna".

I don't see it as "text-message language", though, if that's what you're asking. I don't see it as a slippery slope.

It's a word that people understand as soon as they read it, IMO.

That doesn't mean it's right, mind you. But that's the way I see it.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm not thinking of it as txt at all. Just a word that sounds sloppy when the person speaking isn't necessarily speaking in a sloppy manner.

and yes. It is a contraction of sorts. I'm just not convinced it's a real word.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

C'mon! On my watch, we're never gonna use it.
    Change it. Change it every time you see it.
    (I don't know if you caught on, pet peeve of mine, too.)

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

But ... what if the person you're quoting is speaking in a sloppy manner? Are you cleaning him up for presentation to the masses? And if so, is that kosher?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I tend to change it out, but that's only because my prep guy will do it for me...

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I tend to use it because it is conversational, and oftentimes, more effective.

Of course, not as much as "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka," but you get the drift.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In college, a coach I covered said "gonna" all the time. Quoted it verbatim once, but changed it in the future.

I always change it to "going to." Just seems more professional.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

What if someone says "What are you gonna do?"

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

There are many colloquialisms thrown at us in quotes. Doesn't mean we should use them all.
    The quote doesn't lose any meaning, pace or strength by formalizing it to "going to."

[fixes loose/lose...]

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What if you're interviewing Hulk Hogan?

What are you going to do, brother, when the Hulkster (Hogan) runs wild upon you?

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Count me in the anti-gonna crowd.

You can write conversationally without writing sloppily. And that's just sloppy language.

Draft saved Draft deleted