1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfers are suckers....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Aug 17, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup, they spend thousands on the best equipment and still can't break 100. They'd probably score just as well by dropping a couple of hundred on a set at Canadian Tire. And even better if they took the money they saved on clubs and took a half dozen lessons.

Suckers, indeed. I've golfed (although not much any more) since I was about ten years old and I'd say that this guy pretty much nails it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080815.wlgolf15/BNStory/lifeMain/home

Take my brother. He's a pretty decent player, but he's also a product magpie, always winging over to the shiniest new piece of equipment. Only problem is, his game isn't any better than it was a few thousand dollars ago. His golf-related sentences begin with, "I just don't understand why my driving/chipping/putting isn't better." The inverse is my father-in-law, who buys knockoffs at the flea market for forty bucks and just won his club's senior championship.

Take a lesson.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I have this picture of Canadian Tire looking like the inside of Snoopy's doghouse. Exactly what don't they sell?

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Can't wait to read this.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

fatback and sowbelly.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He wrote a book called Playing Through...now that's brilliant :)

Of course he's dead-on. I'm happy to say every club in my bag is at least five years old and I have no plans on replacing any of them except maybe the putter. Always, always blame the putter.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Custom, new clubs will help only the better players. The weekend warriors don't need the new stuff too much. The forgiving clubs make the game easier, but without proper mechanics, they won't shave all that many strokes. So yes, golfers can be suckers.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine who died a year ago bought every freaking gadget on the market. Read all the instruction magazines. I told him he should have spent his money on lessons or range balls but he never believed me.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sex toys.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My Wilson Pro Staff set I got for $200 or so a few years ago on ebay has a sweet sky mark on the driver. Every time I unsheath the war club, it reminds me what a brilliant striker of the ball I am.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

My first set of clubs I inherited from my grandfather, who probably bought them before I was born. When I was playing all the time in the summer during high school, my handicap was around an 8.

I've got much nicer clubs now, though I don't play near as much, but I haven't come close to shooting 80 in years.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A wise man once said, "Never give a sucker an even break." That could explain golf companies' business practices.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Bowlers are the same way... they expect every ball they buy to be perfect and when it's not, rather than practice, they go buy another ball... $200 a shot for top-o-the-line

Draft saved Draft deleted