1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf Channel: nice choice of words

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Notepad

Notepad Member

I think she should have been suspended initially. That is to say, the day she said it.
    When that didn't happen, the channel was, in effect, saying they had their back.

Now, because idiot Sharpton got involved, they go and suspend her.

This bugs me because the channel is not reacting to what she said, but they are reacting to a reaction (by asshead Al Sharpton no less).

This whole situation sucks.
    Fundamentally, though, they should have suspended her at the very beginning of things.

2. well now it will be Jesse Jackson's turn to complain that she was not fired...

I really wonder what she was thinking when she said it and right AFTER she said it...

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Obviously, america just isn't ready for a woman golf channel anchor.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Al weighs in, in the recent AP story:

Before her suspension was announced, Sharpton spoke earlier on CNN’s “Prime News” and continued to push for her firing, saying he wanted to meet with Golf Channel because the comments were “an insult to all blacks.”
    “Lynching is not murder in general, it’s not assault in general,” Sharpton said. “It’s a specific racial term that this women should be held accountable for. What she said is racist. Whether she’s a racist ... is immaterial. She’s a broadcaster. The channel has to be accountable to the public.”

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever wonder why no one has ever tried to assassinate Sharpton? My belief is because white bigots realize he's more of a threat to African Americans alive rather than dead. MLK actually worked for civil rights. Pimp Hair merely uses race to further his relevance.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nice to see CNN isn't spending too much time on the Middle East or the presidential race. There's always time for Al.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We'll soon find out if Tiger considers this a non-issue as his PR folks are saying.

Tilghman is supposedly coming off suspension in time for Tiger's first tournament of the year. Tiger doesn't brush off talking heads on-air, but if he's cold to Tilghman off-camera, we'll have our answer.

Stay Tuned.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That was my first thought.
    My second was how my mom routinely told us kids to keep out "cotton-pickin" hands off things growing up. Not until I was 16 or 17 and said something to her about what it meant did it ever dawn on her.
    Like everyone else, I'm pretty sure Tilghman didn't mean anything overtly racist about the remark. Still, I don't think a suspension is out of order.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Anybody who watches Golf Channel coverage of the PGA Tour, particularly early in the season, might remember that Kelly went missing for about four weeks last year, supposedly on "vacation."

Scuttlebutt was the GC suits weren't thrilled with the dismal ratings their coverage was getting in the first year of a 15-year deal. I suspect this incident could be the final nail in Tilghman's career coffin.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That part really floored me when I read the AP story tonight. Is it common in TV to have contracts run that long?

11. I saw it on TV earlier today. It wasn't a big deal - especially when you consider lynching is a legal term in several states. It basically means several suspects assaulting one victim. Police in my state write warrants on it all the time. It has nothing to do with race in that regard - which happens to fit the description of what she was talking about.

There's got to be something else everyone in golf land can get upset about.

12. nssaexec

nssaexec New Member

I was working the Mercedes-Benz Championship last week and I've known Kelly for years. This was an innocent slip and the context was that she was pointing to Tiger's dominance on the PGA TOUR and the fact that the young guns coming up might still not have a chance despite their talent.

Still, there was no ill intent. Kelly doesn't have a mean bone in her body. That is the difference between her remark and the one from Imus. Imus made a living offending people. Kelly does not.

I think you have to look at what Tiger's camp is saying on this (Steinberg says it is a non-issue). A two-week suspension is appropriate. I think she deserves some wiggle room on this one. You know, if Tiger wanted her fired it would have happened before the tournament was even complete. Just my two cents...

Draft saved Draft deleted