1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden Globe noms are in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Dec 14, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You, and everyone, should see a documentary called "The Golden Globes: Hollywood's Dirty Little Secret". It was made by the now only-online Trio television network in 2003, and was highly illuminating.

An excerpt of the blurb about the doc:

"Currently, the Hollywood Foreign Press (HFP) has 96 members, with about one-third serving as full-time journalists. TRIO's original documentary, The Golden Globes: Hollywood's Dirty Little Secret, probes the HFP and the history of the awards presentation to find out how this relatively small group came to wield such extraordinary power in Hollywood and create an award that is often seen as a predictor for the Oscars."

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Borat should sweep these awards.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just did some reading. It seems The Wire was eligible this year, and was passed over.

Just an absolute joke. I promise you, the people who vote on this stuff did not even watch the fucking DVDs they were sent.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Gotta admit.... I never understood the widespread hatred of the French.

Until now.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I agree with Columbo.

It's either racism or the people who vote are too dumb to draw breath. Either way, they out to get smacked hard.

It's nowhere near hyperbole to say that the last season of the Wire is certainly one of the top five seasons of television ever.

To ignore it completely? Total joke.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Dog, it's not "like" a glorified popularity contest. It is a glorified popularity contest. It's as if the SportsJournalists.com awards got a TV contract, although I think we've got more credibility than the Hollywood Foreign Press.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I would like to think its racism rather than the fact the the people who are involved are just plain lobotomized untalented assholes. But, since the writers and creater of The Wire aren't black, their snubbing would have little to do with racism. The Al Queda Foreign Press Association just has less sense than Stephon Marbury after a bottle of Hennessy

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Has anyone seen any uproar about this out there among TV writers?

I mean, the people who annointed this as the best thing on television (and there was no shortage) have to be pretty pissed.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From the opinions expressed here, I KNOW we've got more credibility than the HFP.

10. I can't believe how emotionally invested I am in The Wire. I damn near want to shed a tear over this sh*t. It's like this snub says something terrible about America.

24... and no Wire. Are you f----ing kidding me?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Big Fella, I feel your pain. However, the HFP is pretty much a group of incompetents who are in it to meet movie stars and collect the packages that get given out at the ceremony.

As I said, watch the documentary about them. It won't heal the pain, but it will point out how ridiculously highly regarded the GG's are in relation to the people who pick the awards.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

One thing, Jase... it is the FOREIGN press.

If the Emmys do this in the summer, I will join in a million SJ march....

Draft saved Draft deleted