1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 9, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You have your usual reading-comprehension problems. My post on this thread didn't TELL anyone anything of the sort. I said the price of gold passed $1,000 dollars an ounce and it is based on inflation fears. I'm not telling anyone to do anything. Except you. Go away, please. Instead of pissing on the thread, why not go blow Tony Bernazard on another thread that is more your speed.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

[​IMG]

OIL! GOLD!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I never imagined Ragu as such a snappy dresser.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No one ever does.

That's why I'm sinking all of my money into a company that manufactures question mark suits.

6. The Big Ragu

KVV, Love Surowiecki. Love him and his writing. This time, I think the warning bells are really merited. It's different. I'm one of the inflation hawks. Not always. But we went into uncharted territory. I started right around TARP. I didn't even wait for the massive spending bill before I started looking years ahead and trying to guess when they realize they can't just put the brakes on.

Suroweiki is right. There are still people actually sounding deflation alarms. I think it's insane.

One major thing is different right now, and that is the gold price support level. It gives a really strong indication of where real sentiment and fear is right now. It got through that arbitrary $1,000 an ounce barrier. If it stays there this time, it clearly indicates that 1) people think the worst of the recession is behind us, and 2) they are scared about inflation.

Also, one reason the price of gold has found a floor is that every time the price dips a little, by all accounts the Chinese have been dipping in to buy and build their reserves. That means they are losing, or have lost, faith in the U.S. dollar. Their behavior alone can turn perception into reality, even if this would otherwise have been the same tired warning bells that don't seem to come to fruition.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Still waiting for $200 oil. Gold is the next ride for the commodities traders. It's where all the money is going now, hence the inflated prices.

8. The Big Ragu

That tends to happen. When demand increases and supply stays the same, prices go up.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So this is another bubble?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would not call it a bubble like oil was. Just think it's trading at higher end of range.

Might be in anticipation of all the gold needed for the World Series rings the The Yankees will order.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Of course not, just rational market behavior to be followed by an even more rational market plunge correction.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted