1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gold Cup: USA 2, Canada 1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigDog, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Son of beech!

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Didn't Canada win this a few years ago?

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Huggy, I don't recall if Canada won the Gold Cup before. But, prior to this year, the Gold Cup was fairly meaningless. With the new rules in place, the winner of this tournament goes on to represent the conference in the Confederations Cup.

In previous years, the US used the tournament as a means to test out new talent and see who they had. This year, they actually took it somewhat seriously.

Sorry, BBAM, you should have seen this one coming. They laid the tournament out so that the Yanks would play the Tri in the finale.

I would suggest you take a look at Sam's Army's website. They don't have anything listed for the game, but anything is possible. I would highly suggest getting in touch with someone there to see if you can get it.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm sure "sold out" means "stands full of red, green and white," correct?

5. KP

KP Active Member

The stands will have far more green than red and white.
    More sloppy defending at the end of the game. BB might want to get that issue straightened out.
    FWIW, it looked like the two were even. And how big would Donovan's miss looked then?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

My god can you at least look at this objectively. The Americans did desreve the final result but that was not offside. Look at the replay he is clearly even with the last defender.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not bad for the northern neighbors considering how hard it is to play soccer in skates....

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Just watched the goal again: There's no way in hell Hutchinson was offside. When the ball was played in from the midfield, Hutchinson was a good step behind the last U.S. defender. The only man to touch the ball until Hutchinson got it was Onyewu. He's onside. The only way he wouldn't have been is if the Canadian right next to Onyewu had also gotten his head on the ball. Looks like he missed it.

And the Bradley tackle was an obvious red card, too. (No, I'm not Canadian.)

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Not necessarily. US fans have been coming out a bit more in force over the last few years. I can't say that it is enough of a force to be the majority at Soldier Field, but you never know.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm just glad it's not at the Rose Bowl, where the US used to play Mexico a lot and in front of about 75,000 Mexicans. Stands should be fairly even on Sunday.

All future WC qualifyers against Mexico should be played in February or March in Boston or New York. Happened one year, and Mexico was so out of it since it was about 35 degrees.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Wouldn't Chicago work, too? With that wind ... yikes.

Good to know there's a chance the stands will be 50-50 ... because ... you know ... it should be a home game for the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted