1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going vegan, advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Our paper has embarked, for better or worse, on a series of first person stories of it's editorial staff taking on challenges or experiencing something new -- we've had reporters take belly dancing classes, go bungee jumping, etc. I got talked into going vegan for a week.

To be clear, I can't remember the last meal I had where meat or an animal product was not involved. I lost close to 100 pounds on a paleo diet. I love meat. It is delicious. I am not morally opposed to it at all. I know many meat producers -- ranchers, pig farmers, etc. -- who are great people. Beef is more than just an online handle, it is a true life nickname.

The story will be easy to write, and I will have a vegan at my disposal to help me out -- one of our reporters is a strict vegan. My biggest concern is actually being able to stick to it for one week.

Any suggestions on making the quick and drastic change? Recommended recipes? Late night easy meals -- I work a 3-11 pm shift and usually eat when I get home? I start on Saturday.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't think it would be that difficult to do it for a week. I'll sometimes unintentionally go a few days without eating meat. It's not a conscious decision, and I certainly don't want to do long term, but the occasional string happens where you have a PB&J sandwich for lunch, pasta for supper, salad for lunch the next day, then leftover pasta that night. With it getting colder, throw in a few cans of tomato soup, Ramen noodles, some more pasta, salads, a big thing of breadsticks, etc., and you have a week covered.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not quite a vegan, but I don't eat any meat, have something with egg in it really infrequently and can go whole weeks without dairy. One major key for us is that we do 99 percent of our own cooking, don't eat a lot of processed stuff and don't eat out very much.

One thing we do, which you might consider for the week, is create a couple of meals in bulk over weekends -- it's part of our routine. That way I have ready to go lunches for the week. This week it was a bean and veggie chili. I was up early Sunday, cut up everything (onion, garlic, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.) and got it slow cooking for a couple of hours. A bit goes in a tupperwear bowl each day for lunch. We have any number of those ready-to-go meals in the fridge that we do. A lot of salads when the weather is warmer; roasted veggies, stir fries, soups, that chili, etc. when it is colder.

Not sure if that will help, but good luck.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Change your SJ handle.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Don't go to a party at 93Devil's house.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Find a good middle ground and call it a day.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have a good shrimp recipe if you need one.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Next week you should have to eat nothing but veal, and foie gras. :D

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Thanks everybody.

Ragu that's a good idea with premaking meals. I was really struggling with what would be convenient, as strange as it sounds. Always liked veggies, but being a single guy, I've always struggled with eating them before they go bad.

YF, I may take you up on that offer, but I'm told no shell fish or seafood. Still always open to a good recipe, especially once this vegan thing is done in a week.

Mizzou, I plan to get my fill of meat in the next few days, already have my return to meat meal figured out, a local burger joint that has a great burger with bacon and pulled pork on it. It is delicious.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Change your user name.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I had to go vegan for a week, I would eat as much rice as possible.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Don't think I can, though I suppose I can create a new account and post under it for a week

Draft saved Draft deleted