1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Minneapolis in July

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 26, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As expected, me and the GF will be headed to Minneapolis for a quick, three-day weekend trip.
    One of her college roommates is getting married in Edina.
    We hit town on July 15 and leave on the 17th.
    Most of Saturday, the 16th, will be consumed by the wedding and reception, but can anyone advise on places to eat or things to do?
    The Twins have the Royals in for all three days. And with an 8 p.m. flight out of town, is making a 1 p.m. game and then the airport reasonable? I'd like to make a game while I was there.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Separates rooms, or Rosie will ground you.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Some how, I'm so seeing them getting married at St. Patrick's Catholic Church.
    Not proud of it who am I kidding, yes I am but I was part of the wedding party that forced the alcohol ban in the vestibule in the back of church. Same weekend as the last game of the Pens-North Stars Stanley Cup with no TV in the Interlachen Country Club bar, but that's another story.
    MOA is a must if you've never been -- just for the experience. go to the Sofitel to see where Billy Martin got into a fight with the Marshmallow Salesman (100-494). Twins game is fun. Too bad the GF is along; brother is ... how shall I put this ... floor pimp at one of the area's finer establishments.

4. daman

daman New Member

I'm not too knowledgable about the Minneapolis restaurant scene, but I do know that a 1 p.m. Twins game, 8 p.m. flight is easily doable if you use the train. It's path ends at Target Field, and goes right through the airport. Game ends ~4 p.m., probably 45 minutes of waiting to get on the train/train ride to the airport, maybe an hour. That is, of course, if you're going straight from stadium to the airport.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

we're staying at the Sofitel. That's the wedding party hotel and where the reception will be Saturday night.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ahhh, went to a rehearsal dinner there before... I liked... can hit the 494 strip right around there.. tell 'em Touchdown Tommy Kramer sent you...
    Depending on your luggage and the state you live, hit Morelli's in St. Paul for insanely cheap booze...

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

1 p.m. game, figure 3 p.m. end, then get back to Bloomington, to the airport by 6 p.m. for security, it's doable but tight, especially if the game runs long or there's a rail delay. I always drive to Target Field, so I don't know how long it would take for the light rail.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bugs, right? Be prepared for bugs.

Get some Skin So Soft from Avon.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Great strip clubs, as befits the Twin Cities.

That may not be relevant to your travel plans, I admit.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Rosie, I think the last time there was a two-hour game in Minnesota, Jim Kaat was probably on the mound and Hubert Humphrey was the Vice President.

I think the game is doable, even if it goes to 4. If you're going right to the airport you'll be fine.

The Twins might be on a 35-game losing streak by that game too.

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Actually, was just a few years ago. Carlos Silva and Mark Buehrle on getaway day.

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

If you walk down Nicollet (sp) in Minnie, you'll find a good spot to eat and usually some kind of outdoor festival. There's a solid British pub with lawn bowling and an excellent Italian place on the west end of Nicollet.

Draft saved Draft deleted