1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Comiskey (a.k.a. The Cell)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sconnie, Apr 13, 2009.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Not true, they can be anywhere.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That comment brings back memories...

A friend and I took in a game in the upper deck not long after The Cell opened. A sherpa would have been appreciated. At least the view was neat for the fireworks after the game.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Do not go dressed as Tom Gamboa.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The upper deck is actually fixed. And as someone who has no tattoos I can confirm that rule is indeed bogus.

And Coco, please do tell where you can find parking for $5.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The cracks about New Comiskey can stop. I went two years ago, possess no tattoos and have no meth. I scare enough people WITHOUT all that stuff.

Nice park, not a fraction as scary as advertised.

There was even a nice Chicago sports souvenir shop 2-3 blocks from the park. If the store had an authentic Walter Payton jersey, I might have purchased it. Alas, my current one will do.

6. Same with 90 percent of the ballparks/stadiums I've been to... it's not the kind of place you want to be walking around at 3 a.m. alone, but it's not the least bit intimidating the hours before and hour after a game.

The United Center on the other hand???? Well, one of the scarier nights of my life was when I was freelancing a game for an out-of-town paper and hadn't been put on the media parking lot list that night. So, I parked in general parking and walked out after deadline to find my car the lone one left in the entire lot...with an assorted mix of panhandlers roaming around it.

7. JakeandElwood

There Are No Children Here is a great book about the plight of children growing up in the projects/the urban poor. It's set in the United Center's neighborhood.

Definitely not a good place to be at 3 a.m. alone.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Jake/Elwood: It was a few years ago, but I think the $5 parking was in a private lot near a Mr. Submarine west of the stadium on 35th Street. It was nice weather and a day game, so we enjoyed the walk (and the sub sandwiches!).

Yes, I realize that parking close to the stadium, in the official team lots, costs a lot more. But if you get there early and are willing to walk, you can save a few bucks parking farther out.

And as others have mentioned, the neighborhood around "Comiskey Park" has gentrified quite a bit from the 1970s and 80s, when I first attended games there. Our guests from Wisconsin should be fine walking around, especially for a day game.

Feel free to buy a "Cubs Suck" T-shirt from the many people selling them on street corners!

9. JakeandElwood

I'm not a big fan of the Cubs Suck ones, but I do have an Ozzie is my Homeboy one that parodies the Jesus is my Homeboy shirts from a street vendor :D

10. JakeandElwood

And, yeah you can walk around for a day game and be fine.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sounds like a cool Ozzie shirt, J and E.

One final note: The obvious place to stop before or after the game is Home Run Inn ... the original location. It's at 4254 W. 31st St., near the ballpark.

I'm drooling just thinking about a Home Run Inn sausage and onion pizza ... :D

12. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

If you want to drive, go to a bar called Cobblestones at 514 39th St. and park inside their fence.
    It used to be, you paid $10 or $15 for parking but you got it back in tokens for beer.
    When I went last year, I think we parked for free as long as we had a sandwich/pasta dish and a beer or two before the game. Kind of the South Side honor system.
    It's a five-block walk to the Cell.

But, hey, don't tell your friends. I want to be able to park there the next time I go.

http://chicago.metromix.com/bars-and-clubs/bar_food/cobblestones-bar-and-grill-back-of-the-yards/133730/content

Draft saved Draft deleted