1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Cameron

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Nov 6, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So it looks like I'm going to Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium for the first time next week to cover a game. Never been much of a fan of Duke, but I'm looking forward to experiencing the atmosphere there.

Anyone here ever been there? Anything I should make sure not to miss?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Show me that smile again.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I was thinking Mike Cameron.

4. bigpern23

Well played, sir. :D

5. bigpern23

Should have gone with this Cameron, though:

[​IMG]

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Eh, the atmosphere won't be anything close to what it will be in league games. Should still be fun. Be warned (from what I've heard, never covered a game there, but watched a game there) the students are literally right on your back. There's no barrier there. So good luck if you're claustrophobic.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

You might want to bring a rain poncho so the sweat of the student section doesn't ruin your clothes. They like to get a little close and rub all up on you while they are watching their Dukies.

8. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

Hope that you are lucky enough to have a spot reserved in the pressroom or get there early, b/c it's normally tight. Expect to climb over the table into your chair on pressrow rather than walking behind the table to your chair. It's probably too early in the season, but decent chance you'll get paint chippings on the back of your shirt and have spit land on your head. It's that proximity to the action that makes it one of the coolest/most frustrating spots to cover a game.

Halftime cookies are delicious, watch out for crazy towel guy during a first-half media timeout and enjoy the passion with which the Krzyzewski women root, root, root for the home team.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, and know I'll be jealous. That too. :D

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Oh, and enjoy watching a team that will once again be a high seed and lose by the Sweet 16 (hi IJAG!).

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

One of these days, IJAG, you and I are going to Cameron for Dook-Carolina.

Oh yeah.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You'll have to remind yourself repeatedly that there is a divinity school on that campus. To say the least, the students follow the lead of their foul-mouthed coach.

Charlie Ward was throwing the ball in in front of me one time (yeah, I'm old). A student who was no more than five feet away from Ward asked him if he performed an sexual act on Bobby Bowden, only he was very direct with his question. And when former referee Dick Paparo made a bad call, a chorus of "You suck Dick!" was sure to follow.

But it's usually very amusing to hear the cheers that the Crazies come up with.

The visiting locker room is down some stairs in what feels like a dungeon.

It's definitely one of the best places to see a game, but it can be very hot in there. It's one of the few classic college basketball venues around since N.C. State rarely plays at Reynolds and UNC never plays at Carmichael anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted