1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Baltimore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, May 13, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I'm going to Baltimore to watch the Orioles take on the Blue Jays from June 12-16.

Any advice on where to stay, restaurants to eat at, bars to check out, places to visit, ect?! I'm looking for places near Camden Yards since I won't be doing a lot of driving while I'm down there.

Also, I'm looking for things that are pretty affortable(tight budget)

One more question, any of you ever attended a game at Camden Yards? How's the experience? Food any good?

Thanking you in advance.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hamsterdam.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Breakfast: http://bluemoonbaltimore.com/

Lunch: http://www.chapspitbeef.com/

Dinner: Anywhere that serves crab cakes.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The wife and I went last year, but just for a night on the way to a wedding elsewhere. Stayed at the Hyatt Regency in the Inner Harbor. It was a bit pricey (I think we paid about $200 for the night, including parking, which was actually pretty comparable to the other downtown hotels), but it was a nice hotel and the location was fantastic. You're right on top of the Inner Harbor, and maybe three blocks from the ballpark.
    If you're willing to trade price for location, it's a solid option. You won't have to move your car if you're not leaving the downtown area. Cost of parking is probably a wash, but if you factor in the aggravation of driving in gameday traffic vs. being right there, it might not be a bad tradeoff if it's within your budget.

Also went to an Orioles-Astros game, which was my first trip to Camden Yards. Nice ballpark. We met up with an old friend of my wife's, so I was able to excuse myself for a couple of innings to wander around while they gabbed. Good sightlines from most every section I stopped in, and the food was pretty good. My only complaint was that the concourses felt dated for a ballpark that's only 20 years old. They were kind of dark. If the inside of the park was a throwback to the stadiums of the 40s and 50s, then the concourses were a throwback to the cookie cutter concrete bowls of the 70s.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Lexington Market is a farmers' market not that far behind Reading Terminal Station in Philadelphia in terms of variety and flavor. The highlight is Faidley's Crabcakes, home of simply the best crabcakes in the Chesapeake Bay.

Can't say enough about how cool the Inner Harbor is. If you want to do any shopping, you'll want to hit Pratt Street Plaza down there.

Great dining in Little Italy across the highway from Pratt Street.

And you will be price-gouged if you plan to eat or drink at Camden Yards.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Camden Yards has a little bit of everything food wise and the prices are about what you'd expect at any big league park. If you like Natty Bo this is your ballpark.

Joe Squared is a great place for pizza and Isabella's in Little Italy is good little place for subs, pizza, etc. Teavolve in Harbor East is worth checking out, great chicken & waffles. Paying a little more for a hotel in the Inner Harbor is probably worth it because Baltimore isn't really a city where you want to take a chance on an area you don't know. Neighborhoods can go from quite nice to really scary in a matter of a couple of blocks. Even in the Inner Harbor area my wife and I walked from Hotel Monaco to Joe Squared one night and found ourselves pushing a stroller through what was essentially a red-light district.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

As part of my "see every ballpark" tour, took my nephew (13) and dad (75) to Camden last season. Loved the entire experience.

Stayed here, http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bwifh-fairfield-inn-and-suites-baltimore-downtown-inner-harbor/ Best combo of price & quality I could find, that close to the inner harbor. Easy hike up the the ballpark pregame, easy/cheap taxi back after.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Diners, Drive ins and Dives has been there a ton. There are a lot of good eats in this town.

11. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the suggestions this far. Thanks.

Any good pubs near the ballpark that has a wide selection of different beers on tap?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I just want to reiterate on Chap's Pit Beef ... it's a good ways out on the east side of town and shares its parking lot with a strip club, but it's worth the trip. My fiance and I went last June and we're still talking about it.

Grab a cab if you have to. You won't be sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted