1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Atlanta ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jan 25, 2014.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll do the Varsity at the airport just to say I experienced it

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Snow tomorrow!!!

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had an outstanding Buffalo chicken pizza and several terrific pints at the Mellow Mushroom in Marietta last summer.

World of Coke and CNN tour were pretty cool too.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

CNN has the tallest escalator, doesn't it? I think it would make me puke and knees wobble.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed it does, eight storeys, something like that. Just glad it hadn't broken down when we were there.

6. TwoGloves

Well, my noon flight just got canceled. I'm guessing not enough people on it. So I'm flying out at 5:30 and won't get in until 8. Sounds like Vortex tomorrow, Buckhead for brunch Wednesday and Varsity at the airport Thursday.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you're going to do the Varsity, you have to go to the real Varsity. It's right on the interstate. If you're staying in downtown or midtown, it's on the way to the airport.

Eating Varsity at the airport is getting the shitty food without saying "I went to the biggest drive-in."

If you need company for the Vortex, it's early enough in the week I can knock out a burger and still be good by weigh-in on Saturday. :D

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If you're coming to Atlanta when it snows, you're in for a real treat.

Ignore what IJAG says about The Varsity. Chili dogs and an FO. It's what's for dinner. It's not prize-winning food, but it is a guilty pleasure with a unique atmosphere.

In addition to other things mentioned so far, there's the Margaret Mitchell House, Auburn Avenue, MLK memorial, The Carter Presidential Center. You can do a tour of Turner Field for a modest admission price. If you're not planning to return to Atl for a few years, you might want to check it out. Gonna be torn down after the 2016 season. CNN's got tours, too. Also, next to the Aquarium they're building the new College Football HOF (unfortunately not open yet), and a couple blocks from there is Skyview, Atlanta's version of the London Eye.

A few miles north of town is Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield. Civil War historic site.

South of town, you can visit the original Chick-fil-A in Hapeville (fairly close to the airport).

Food and drink: For unique Southern fare, hard to beat Mary Mac's Tea Room or PittyPat's Porch. (Word of warning: be on first-name basis with your cardiologist. Southern means fried.) If you want the local flavor media-type watering hole, Manuel's Tavern is the place.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No, I don't work for the ACVB. But if they want to write me a check, I won't turn it down.

10. TwoGloves

My problem is I won't get in until late Tuesday now and Wednesday is game night. So I might have a few hours available in the afternoon. Getting my flight canceled has screwed everything up.

11. imjustagirl

Right, but you said "Vortex tomorrow" meaning Tuesday, right?

I'm confused.

12. imjustagirl

Also, print out Novvie's post. He's spot on on everything except the Varsity death. Mary Mac's is a must do, and you even get a back rub out of it!

Draft saved Draft deleted