1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Arlington. Texas that is. Tips from the locals?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jul 20, 2013.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Going to Arlington for a long weekend next week.

Things we'll see: She, as a deeply passionate Cowboys fan, has already planned a Jerry World tour. She also wants to hit Fort Worth and see the money factory, the place where they print money. Since she's a Republican, W's library will be on the agenda. As a no good pinko commie Liberal who voted for Obama, I'm taking the "respect the office, not the man" stance and looking for the copy of "The Pet Goat."

I'm mostly looking for good places to eat. I really love brisket. So, you know, BBQ, and my research has revealed Dallas has an ACM, an ATM-style Automatic Cupcake Machine. WE LIVE IN AN AGE OF MIRACLES!

A real nice eating joint that ain't a chain would also be grand.

For those who keep up with these things, the end of the month marks five years together for us. Some around here followed along at home on the first night, blind date.

Helluva ride.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If you like zoos, the Fort Worth Zoo is awesome and has a (somewhat) baby rhino and a new baby elephant. *is five years old*

3. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

There are good art museums out that way and the FW Stockyards area is fun. Ask around on the BBQ joint once you get there. Won't be hard to find a non-chain one with terrific food. Same for Tex-Mex

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Arlingtonian here, mainly familiar with Arlington/Fort Worth environs, so this info is going to be biased in that direction.

There are plenty of very good BBQ joints 'round these parts. If you're in Fort Worth, I would recommend Risckys ... they have three locations (one downtown in Sundance Square (where ESPN set up shop for the Super Bowl), one in the Stockyards, and a newer one on the west side).

For a quintessential Fort Worth Mexican treat, go to Joe T. Garcia's right near the Stockyards ... and bring an appetite. They've broadened their menu these last few years, but if you wanna do Joe T's right you'll order the family-style enchilada dinner (their original). You might combine a Joe T's visit with a visit to the Stockyards timed so that you can see the longhorn cattle drive (11:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. daily in the Stockyards).

You might also check out one of Tim Love's restaurants. The Lonesome Dove is expensive as all get-out, but it's supposed to be out of this world.

I've never been, but in Arlington Piccolo Mondo is highly recommended for an upscale Italian night out.

Also in Arlington there are a couple of well-regarded "dives" kind of places. Some acquaintances run a place called the Grease Monkey, which is kind of like Fuddrucker's, but those sweet potato tater tots are out of this world. Two or three miles southwest from there is a place called Chop House Burgers (featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives) that's famous for a burger made with a mix of ground beef and ground smoked brisket.

Also, throughout the metroplex there's the Fuzzy's Taco chain. Fuzzy's thing is Baja-style tacos, and I recommend their garlic shredded beef tacos. Near UT-Arlington there's also a new place called Digg's Taco Shop (there's a location in Dallas, too) which is very good (with live music on the weekends).

And, finally, if you just want a good, cheap sports bar experience, visit the No Frills Grill (there are several locations throughout the metroplex). The food's good and very modestly priced.

The museums in the Fort Worth cultural district are world class. The Amon Carter museum has a fabulous collection of Remington and Russell paintings, and it's free. Check out the Modern, too ... its architecture is pretty much worth the price of admission, and the Cafe Modern there is reportedly fabulous.

PM me if you want any other guidance or directions.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

When you're in Fort Worth, maybe try one of my old favorites -- http://hoffbrausteaks.com/fort-worth-menu/

6. El Guapo

El Guapo New Member

Gas stations house the best taquerias. Fuel City's tacos by downtown Dallas are legendary and cheap. And you can catch a glimpse of the longhorns that are required B-roll on any national telecasts from DFW.

Mariano's off of Highway 360 and Randol Mill in Arlington is good Tex-Mex and close to the stadiums. It's the same Mariano who claimed to have invented the first Margarita machine.
    http://www.laharanch.com/marianos/home.htm

Mia's on Lemmon Avenue in Dallas has the best brisket tacos.
    http://www.miastexmex.com/

It also gave us this historic moment in Cowboys history:

[​IMG]

I like to smoke my own BBQ meats but I've grown fond of Spring Creek when we eat out, even though it's a chain.
    http://www.springcreekbarbeque.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips.

Thinking Friday we'll eat enchiladas and watch the cattle drive. Lonesome Dove looked a little pricey for dinner. But maybe lunch. Braum's, of course, anytime.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you have never seen a rodeo in person, this would be a good time.

And go to the plaza, walk around and get some chills.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tip: If you go to Six Flags, make sure they fasten you in tight on the Texas Giant.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Say hi to Webby at the International Bowling Campus (if he makes a rare office appearance :) ) ... and tour the bowling museum.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you're there Wednesday, you can see the USMNT vs. Honduras and Mexico vs. Panama in the Gold Cup semifinals at the Death Star.

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

For excellent BBQ, check out North Main Street in Euless. Great ribs, brisket and smoked sausage. It's only opened Friday-Sunday, but it's all you can eat and BYOB.

Draft saved Draft deleted