1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to a concert alone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bucknutty, Aug 5, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I've been to plenty of shows alone. Although I'm not a regular on the concert circuit anymore, I do wish I knew more people who shared my tastes. Flying solo in ratty neighborhoods to hang at a punk bar isn't always the safest option.

And the movies, I usually head out alone. I love cinema and realize that being alone is perhaps the ideal way to watch films.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Hey now. The company I work for switched their music system a few months ago, and it plays a lot of Gin Blossoms. I can't believe how many songs I recognize. I'd go.

As for me, I went to my first concert alone. It was Dave Matthews, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Rusted Root, Blues Traveler and Allman Brothers. The 1994 HORDE Tour.

I was 14 and it stopped by our state fairgrounds. My parents let me go while they walked around the Fair. I had never seen or smelled pot before that night. I didn't take it when it was offered (I'm such a good girl) but I'll always remember it.

All and all, a great experience.

3. Never been to a big arena show, but there's nothing weird about going solo to a small club. Especially if there's a bar. The biggest issue is fighting boredom if an act goes on stage late.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Close.

Might have to pick it up. I'm like most here in not realizing how many good tunes they had. I figured once you've heard Hey Jealousy, you've heard the Gin Blossoms.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I've gone to shows alone a few times...don't really like it. (I tend to find that it makes me drink and smoke more). I kind of enjoy seeing movies alone.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I used to do some reviewing and I got used to doing things alone.
    Concerts especially. The professional reviewer also packs ear plugs.
    And when I was on the road, it was nothing to go see a movie in the afternoon by myself.
    Game coverage and reporting, for the most part, unless you travel with a photog, is primarily a solo experience. At least it has been for me.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Went to my first concert alone earlier this summer and loved it. I did whatever I wanted when I wanted without having to worry if someone else wanted to do all that. I'm going to Incubus tomorrow night and several others this fall solo.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've done it plenty of times.

I've had more fun sometimes making friends with people who *get* the artist I'm going to see rather than dragging a friend who may or may not appreciate the music I'm interested in.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mr. Songbird, here's an excellent video of "She." This is, perhaps, one of the most underrated Green Day songs of all time. If this song were on another album, like Insomniac or Nimrod, it would have easily been the first release.

And if anyone has never seen Green Day, you must fix that. They are the best live show I've ever seen. Billie Joe has more energy than any other front-man I've seen, and every songs sounds like it was straight off the album. The band even brings up three musicians from the pit to play "Knowledge," an old song from Operation Ivy -- and it's off Green Day's 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours -- and at the end, Billie Joe gives away his guitar. It's a definite class act.

I've seen them four times, and I'd gladly pay just about anything to see them every year until they drop the instruments. They are my Rush, so to speak.

10. Faithless

Faithless Member

And speaking of Rush, I went solo to the R30 tour opener in Nashville. Also went solo to see the Stones and a double billing of the Allman Brothers/Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The Allman/Skynyrd show was the most enjoyable. Worked my way to the floor during the Skynyrd set and met up with some teachers from my kids' high school, including the very buxomed, flirty and, at that moment, intoxicated choir teacher. I was pretty lit up, too. During the break in between performances I was chatting with them when the choir teacher grabbed me, pulled me to her breasts, started rubbing them over me and said, "I hope you remember these big babies in the morning."

The next day, I appeared - with a slight hangover - on the morning news/entertainment program at the local TV station. I was there to promote a golf tournament benefitting a nonprofit organization that awards grants to teachers like the one who rubbed her tits all over me. I was president the organization at the time, and the choir teacher played in our tournament every year. After the program, I dropped by the high school office to meet with an administrator when, lo and behold, the choir teacher comes walking in. We just smiled and exchanged some small talk about the concert. I think it was a good thing we didn't go into a discussion about her 'babies' in the office with others standing nearby.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Faithless, your story sounds Penthouse-letter worthy.

12. Faithless

Faithless Member

And that is why I'd rather go to a concert by myself than with my wife.

Wifey wants to get to the arena, find our seats and stay there the entire time. Me, I like to walk around in between sets, interacting with friends and other concertgoers. I enjoy that part of the concert experience, especially when it leads to a memorable moment like having a teacher rub her tits all over you.

Draft saved Draft deleted