1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going rate for editing

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Not sure where to put this..
    What's the going rate to edit something, like a novel?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What's the going rate for general copy-editing on a freelance basis? And what's the rate for freelance design work?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife did some freelance editing a few years back and $50/hour was her going rate. She might have gone lower some for friends and regular clients, but she insisted on an hourly rate instead of per-word rate because some manuscripts were more of a sh*t show than others. Also have to make clear what the "editing" is up front -- just typos and sentence structure, or a full edit including fact-checking?

I edited a book once for a friend who ran a golf course, I negotiated a set of new Ping irons as my fee. Turned out to be a lot more work than I thought, to the friend's credit he asked if the deal was fair. I lied and said it was, though I did hit him up for a new 3-wood too.

4. Thanks.
    Guy wants me to edit his 200-page novel. And that's what I asked him: sentence structure or full-on editing?

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would definitely go by the hour. I edited a football instructional manual for kids like 15 years ago and it was A LOT of freaking work. Guy/friend paid me $1,000 (as I remember) and also bought me drinks for quite a stretch. Still, I would have been smarter just getting a flat fee. The book was like 200 pages, as I remember. You'd think I would have kept a copy of the book, which was quite nice. You would be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted