1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going on a cruise/flying for the first time....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Jun 30, 2011.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Turtle, I'm sure I'll be pm-ing you before the trip.

Two questions. Does any former passengers have any info on spa rates?

Also, I called Carnival the other day about the passport issue. They said since were going to the Bahamas, all we need is our driver's license and birth certificate, but an enhanced license is strongly recommended. We're getting the licences.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Seriously, just get the passports. They could easily change the rules. A passport will always be accepted.

Spa rates....hmm seems like about 150 bought me and the wife a turkish spa bath thingy for an hour.

3. farmerjerome

I'm hoping they don't change the rules, because I really would like to save the cash for something else. And let's face it, I'm not the world traveler.

Since I forgot that I can do this whole search engine thing, I found the ballpark spa prices. I'd really like to treat Dr. J since he's never been (I go once a year with my state taxes). Thanks to whoever recomended the critcs site too, I'm picking up on lots of little things.

Oh, does anyone know how daily disposable contacts figure in with the liquids on airlines? I couldn't find that anywhere.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

If they're prescription, they're exempt.

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Which means you can put them in a separate ziploc baggie and it won't count against your 3-ounce baggie in your carry-on.

And if you wear contacts, bring eye drops. Again, the plane's air will be dry.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I suffer from extreme anxiety issues (mainly a feeling of claustrophobia and needing to flee) but my job requires me to spend up to 20 weekends on the road, which means a lot of hours crammed into planes and worrying about being crammed into planes.

I've had a panic attack on one of the CRJ 200 commuter jets (stupid travel agent put me in the last row of a tiny 15-row airplane on a two-hour flight), so I'm very cognizant of needing to make reservations for larger jets, preferably an aisle seat and near the front of the plane. I've just recently been able to sit still while the drink cart is next to me, that's how bad it gets.

My issues are really temperature-sensitive, so I always try to bring on a cool, wet paper towel that I can use to hold against my wrists or on the back of my neck if the plane is stuffy. There are breathing exercises (don't really work for me), and I try to focus my attention on something that keeps me from thinking about where I am.

Talk to your doctor about medication that can ease some of the anxiety issues.

Make sure you get with a travel agent well in advance or do your own reservations online. On a few occasions, the airline has switched plane types and the computer has randomly reassigned seats. That's a major issue for a claustrophobic. The airlines won't be much help at the gate, but a flight attendant might be willing to ask someone to switch with you if you wind up in a seat that won't work.

7. farmerjerome

I've already talked to the doctor, and I think I'm going the Xanax route. Better living through chemistry, that's what I always say.

I'm also upping my regular anxiety meds to two-a-day for a week before we go. That's always seemed to take some of the edge off in the past.

Dr. J isn't the greatest when something happens, but since he's footing the bill, hopefully he'll get the hint if I start to have a meltdown. Right now, my major issue is having to wait too long on the plane before it takes off.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Can't be emphasized enough about the passport. It will save you a lot of headaches.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Couple airport tips:

1. If you can avoid wearing a jacket and belt do so. Those always seem to be the items people forget to remove while going through security. Also, wear sandals or shoes that slip easily on/off.

2. Pack only what you absolutely need in your carry on. Like a spare set of clothes (in case your luggage is lost) and other items you absolutely have to have with you at all times.

3. Get the passport. I haven't flown or traveled internationally, but I can see where having a passport will make travel less of a hassle.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Pack your bathing suit or a change of clothes in your carry-on because it will take awhile for your suitcases to get delivered to your cabin.

Draft saved Draft deleted