1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going from a sports department at a paper to being a Sports Information Director

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Simplistic, thy name is Monday.

2. This is a move I've been considering for the past year and a half or so, but obviously am waiting for an opportunity to come up that seems appealing to me. I'm in the town of a D-II school where the SID is as incompetent as can be, which makes me think I can do what he does. I know there's a lot of administration type stuff that goes into it, but like has been said, the better hours and such are a great thing.

I figure the biggest thing holding me back is having to learn the stat crew software and such, but watching the kids that run these things during the school's home games, it doesn't seem too overly complicated.

Please correct if I have some skewed vision of grandeur about the job though.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Smart move. Never know when the boss is looking!

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

All the sweet young interns you can handle!

Seriously, one of the big advantages is if you have kids, there are a lot of places where their tuition is either comped or greatly reduced. You <u>can</u> put a price tag on that, and it's a big one. I knew a guy who became an SID and soon had three kids on a full ride. His wife was also able to get an advanced degree.

If you're not in a big-time program, you're probably free of a lot of the politics and bullshit that afflict those. Having been in the media business, you should also have some insight on how to get publicity. The coaches and AD will love you if you're getting them attention.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think that's unfair to the vast majority of SIDs.

I have never worked with big-time schools, but I have been impressed with the ones I have known.

As a reporter, if I know the SID has newspaper experience, that's a good thing.

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

As Smasher pointed out, there are some sweet benefits to the SID world.

I don't have kids yet, but should I still be here when the time comes, my children could attend school for free. There are times that thought alone helps make up for the pay scale. There is also a tuition exchange program that would allow my kids to attend a wide variety of schools around the country.

My wife, who works in the education field, can also take classes here. Since she has to take a certain number of credits every few years or so, it's a big help.

7. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

I had an interview for a SID job at a large Canadian university. During the interview the AD told me that during football Saturday's my day would start at nine in the morning and would probably end at eight or nine at night. First one there and last one to leave.
    I didn't get the job, but the long hours were the reason why I didn't apply again when the job became available again last year.
    Newspaper has long hours but the AD told me that 60 hour weeks from September to March are the norm at the school.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

God, I'd kill for 12-hour days when I cover something.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

What's that, like five or six Saturdays out of the year? Not bad if you ask me.

10. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

No, I very much do understand what they do. Sorry to paint with such an extensive brush, but I'm afraid that's what it has become. The weasel obstructionists know who they are - or maybe they don't and that's the problem

There are some great professional SIDs. Unfortunately I think too many have been forced out or retired.
    A good SID is a kick-butt sports historian and statistician at heart, tells the truth and will tell you when he or she can't tell you.
    Unfortunately, too many today are all about keeping a lid on every stupid simple little thing, lazy notes, lazy stats, lies and bull. God do I hate lies and bull.

11. just curious, what's the payscale like as an SID? Just a ballpark... And what about benefits?

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Can't speak to the pay, but working at a university, I know the bennies can be pretty good.

In my case, I get two weeks vacation for the first five years, but I also get the week between Christmas and New Years. I'd imagine an SID has a little freedom to work shorter hours/fewer days during the summer since there's little going on, but I can't say that for sure.

One of the biggest draws for me was the opportunity for an advanced degree. I'm going to work toward an MBA starting in January for a fraction of the sticker price. And like someone else mentioned, stick around for five years or so and your children's education is paid for.

Draft saved Draft deleted