1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going back ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 19, 2010.

1. With the weather this time of year, I hope it's not the thinclads.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Could be grapplers.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Be sure to make a Holden Caulfield reference in your lede. :D

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And remember, all good writing requires a Christ metaphor

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Remember, "harriers" has two r's in the middle. And make reference to airline security when you describe them coming across the line and through the chute.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Cagers is a term you should throw out, or if you are covering playoff football, maybe "gridders". Also, make sure to write how hard the losing team tried. Nobody ever writes about them or the JV. Or the pom team. Oh, don't forget the cheerleaders. They work so hard too.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Remember that no one is going to read the whole story unless you save the score until the last graph.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Using a cliche is alright as long as you put sarcastic quote marks around it.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ohh, nice one, but you can also get away with it by saying "It may be cliche to say..."

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

And if you get in a bind, you can go with "thinclads," too.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

See above. Roland of Gilead beat you to it. And whoever invented that should be gutted like a scaleclad.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You guys are too funny!

And you were all wrong, I covered hockey last night.

I'll be honest, I felt a bit rusty so of course I incorporated all your suggestions into my story. From pictures, cutlines, gamer, layout to pages sent was probably an hour and a half or so. Not too bad I guess.

It was a very nice change from sex offenders, assaults and other criminal mayhem.

Draft saved Draft deleted