1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going back to school....?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Feb 16, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.enrollment.vcu.edu/accounting/calc.php

Moddy U looks to be about $4,700 per semester or $494 per credit hour.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

After reading this a second time, it makes a shit ton of sense. I've already read reports of people clinging to cars and appliances much longer than in the past because they don't want to buy new.

3. FWIW, a really good LSAT score can overcome almost any undergraduate transcript.

4. NDub

NDub Guest

In Exile - I'm curious where you heard this. Has anyone else? Forgive me, but I'm not old enough to have lived through any sort of recession so I'm new to all of this stuff. My parents tell me the last one was in 82-83 and I was born in 83.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Actually, most predictions are that the upswing begins in fall of 2010....

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

NDub, you've actually lived through two recessions prior to this one. There was a recession 1990-91-ish and another from 2001-2003 or so. It would be extremely unusual for an economy to go 20-plus years with out a recession, although it has happened. This one is shaping up to be much more severe than either of those two were, and so that may be why people don't think of them as much. Plus you were just a kid for the circa-George I recession.

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The state I'm in has a program that will pay for your master's in education (technically a forgiveable loan program) in exchange for x number of years of teaching. It has to be in a shortage field, but those fields include most of the core subjects.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not as easy as people think it is and you're surrounded by a lot of people who don't communicate very well. I took a few programming classes in college and it's tough. The rest of the IT degrees such as information systems won't help right now since there are a lot of IT guys looking for work in this economy and you're usually working at more places than a journalist would.

9. Russell Hammond

Russell Hammond New Member

When I was in college about 10-15 years ago, everyone majored in some sort of computer field. Systems, programming, etc., etc. And they were all going to make lots of money and get all sorts of jobs because they were "in demand." And half of them, if not more, ended up working retail right alongside a bunch of college dropouts.

Oh, and I'm headed to law school. See a lot of you there, I guess.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

I guess I meant the last real bad one. Thanks, though. You are right.

Anyone considering law enforcement, fireman academy, military?

Also, we've had a lot of good feedback on this thread, but I'm still not really seeing an answer as to WHAT is a good field to get into. We've all got to keep in mind better pay, hours and job security, but will it make us happy? Will we want to get up and look forward to work?

11. Russell Hammond

Russell Hammond New Member

Because it completely depends on the person. Obviously people in this field have some things in common, including interests and marketable skills. But we're also different in many ways. I know journalists who turned down medical school. I also know journalists who either left for or came from Harvard Law School.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One thing to be concerned about is that a lot of IT type jobs may be outsourced in the coming years. Bottom line, if you don't physically need to be there to do something, your job could go to India or China.

Draft saved Draft deleted