1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going back to school....?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Feb 16, 2009.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

How many of you have thought about going back to school? Or currently are? I know we've touched on it in various threads, but haven't had one devoted thread.

Have you gone back? Do you plan on going back? What do you want to do? What type of degree would you pursue - bachelor, associate, certificate, etc.?

I've only recently thought about it. I've got a degree in media and public communications, so I can do more than just write or be a journalist. But transitioning to a business, or accounting, or financing, or law career is pretty difficult given I don't have the degree or experience.

Part of me wants to go back maybe for business or accounting. There are far more secure jobs in that career field than journalism or media in general. I've thought about going for an associate's. Something that I don't have to go for another four years or spend a lot more money.

So let's hear it.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm definitely considering it. Not at trigger-pulling stage yet.

Seems like the only sure-fire degree right now is in nursing, though.

Not sure I would look good in scrubs is the only thing holding me back.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Meh. I'd go back to school if the company paid for it.

I suppose this is why newspapers don't do tuition reimbursement. They know folks would use their alternate, or better degrees to leave the biz.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Right, NDub, going into finance or accounting is real secure these days.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Accounting and financial analysis is ok, spnited. There's always going to be a need for counters and auditors.

It's investment brokers and banking that's the bad business to try and break into now. Of course, the boneheads in these professions who are out on the street competing for jobs are the same guys who made enough money in the last 5 years where they should be retired by now.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I am seriously considering it -- have gone for a guidance-counseling appointment to get information and find out what I might need that I don't have, even though I have a bachelor's degree.

That discussion with the counselor, at a two-year community college regarding the school's radiology program, was discouraging, to say the least (I wrote about it on another thread a while ago, and should warn you: Don't get your hopes up; depending on the program and your circumstances, that two-year associate's program you're looking at might end up taking you four or five years to complete and have come to fruition).

But, considering that I'm in pretty dire economic shape as it is right now, to the point that I will probably be forced to move out of my condo (which I own) and into my parents' home very soon if I don't start bringing in more money, I am again considering this despite the too-long time frame.

That career, and some others in the medical field, still appeals to me. And being in my folks' home for a while might make it a possibility to do more easily, so I'm thinking I may still try to take advantage of the opportunity.

Certainly, I know that something needs to be done, because, as horrible and wrong as I think it is (and I do think that), I apparently can no longer support myself as a journalist. And I'm getting tired of trying, and working, so hard, without, really, any return or forward progress.

If something doesn't change soon, I will be going to another field, by force, and out of necessity, not desire. And that would probably require going back to school in some form.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm in school now NDub. Pulled the trigger nearly two years ago. I'm working on a law degree and an m.a. in journalism. Don't know exactly what I'll do when I finish, but the combo gives me three paths to go down, each of which I'd be very happy with: working as an attorney, teaching media law to undergraduates or writing about legal affairs either for a general interest pub or a business-to-business pub.

All three pay better than what I was making in my last reporting gig and I'll have multiple backup options should I start one and not like it.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I applied to a sports management masters program. Don't yet if I'll get in or if I will actually go or what I would do with that degree. Figured I'd apply first and figure out the rest later.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Don't go, BB. Waste of money. You'll get out of that program ready for an entry-level sales or marketing job with a team. You should have enough connections to land one of those jobs on your own, if you so desire.

10. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I have so little direction since graduating with a B.A. in 2004 that I don't know what I want to do. I honestly want to eventually get out of this entire industry but have no idea what I want to do. I'm torn about returning to school. It would help me get get into a better and more stable industry, but I'm not sure I want to invest the time and money to go back. If I were to go back, it would probably be law school.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I have a B.A. in English/Writing, but I've learned that hard way that this industry is going no where. I've already pulled the trigger on my decision to go back to school to get my M.S. in Sports Management. I'd like to hope to get somewhere within the realm of public relations or something with that.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think a lot of you folks going for law degrees or sports management degrees would be better of in the long run selling insurance.

Draft saved Draft deleted