1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goin' to Gawja with my peach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

God Bless.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You're a military guy, check out Fort Pulaski. About 20 miles away. Good picnic areas out there.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll be about an hour's drive northwest of Fort Oglethorpe that same weekend.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

River Street Sweets is indeed awesome, but fair warning: Those pralines are about $18 a pound. They do have free samples as you walk in the door. Boar's Head is good eats, as is Spanky's. And there's Huey's, where the beignets alone are worth the price of the meal.

I thought Fort Pulaski was cool.

The grid squares are something to see, and the canopy of the old trees holds sound in. With the starving artists out there, it's an interesting concert hall.

A couple of blocks from River Street is the Savannah College of Art and Design. It's a unique place.

There's a free ferry across the river to the Convention Center, which is fairly run of the mill, but the ferry ride offers neat views of River Street.

If you've got an affinity for the macabre, the ghost tours are very popular. And, it is not hard to find "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" souvenir items. Just about every shop on River Street has them.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Don't eat a pound of pralines. Eat one hot. Take one for later.

I don't find the price outrageous. Pecans aren't cheap.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, you really don't notice the price if you just eat one. But if you want to take some home with you ...

Draft saved Draft deleted