1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOFUNDME for former poster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 5, 2016.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Terrible for the family, and sad times today at SJ.

Pour out one for one of our own.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What BYH said. I opened this thread when I logged on the past few days hoping I didn't read this news. May he RIP.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have anything really good to add. This thread bummed me out when I saw it the other day. I didn't know him, other than as a poster on here. He always came across as smart, friendly and decent. It's sad.

Big Circus and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Same here, Ragu. Didn't know him at all, only as a poster. But I always assumed we'd get along great because his handle suggests he was a Fletch fan, and any fan of Fletch is a friend of mine.

Any time I logged in and saw he'd written the most recent post on a thread, I read it immediately. He was funny, professional and respectful, three huge pluses on a largely anonymous message board. Whatever he wrote always seemed to make a lot of sense to me. RIP.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This makes me sad even though I didn't know him. His post elsewhere about dying soon is barely a month old. David was obviously a good guy based on the outpouring of support and grief. He will be greatly missed.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

RIP Arnold Babar. May there by an ample supply of elephant books on the other side.

Sea Bass likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

On his layoff thread from 2009, I had told him how I always laughed at his "Suspicious Baby," pic. I didn't know him, other than here, but I feel for his family. RIP

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

During the time when I was a regular at SJ, he was one of the people who showed me, by consistent example, how good the site could be, and how much better a person I could be. It has taken me a long time to grasp that many of my frustrations here came from a place inside me that knew that I often fell far short of the example set by David and the many other good people on the board. They represent the best of SJ, and they always will.

A sad day. RIP.

9. Flash

Flash Active Member

I stopped by because I knew I would find lovely tributes to Dave. My heart has been in my throat all day since I saw the news. Peace to you all.

cranberry, Vombatus and YankeeFan like this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

RIP, David/Arnie.

You made a huge difference in this world.

Songbird and YankeeFan like this.
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Going to stick this to the top for a week or so, making it easier to find if people still want to make donations

Tweener and HanSenSE like this.
  12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I just went back and read through the P-I thread. Never will forget the folks chipping in to pay the bar tab for staffers that night.

RIP, Dave. Never got to meet you, but the conversations we had on here and Facebook will stick with me.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted