1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God....I love 8-Man Football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Aug 28, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm the son of an 8-man coach, so it's a peculiar feeling being where it's 11-man or no football at all.

Angola is right on about 6-man, though. Great to watch, not so much to cover.

2. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

We have an 8-man team out here that hasn't lost to another 8-man team in 3 years (they schedule some 11-man games). And they don't schedule light with some of the 11-man teams. Granted, they don't take on the big schools, but they do go up agaisnt some of the better lower level 11-man teams.

The thing is their games last 2 quarters and then get called off due to the mercy rule.

In three games last year, one kid had 14 TDs and 650 yards rushing on only 49 carries. His teammate had 8 touchdowns.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How do they play the 11-man teams? Seems like a good story. I have never heard of an 8-man team, switching everything up to play an 11-man team.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There is a 45-point mercy rule in Oklahoma 8-man, so in order for a team to score 100 the other team would have to score at least 50 (to keep the game going that far).

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Songbird might know this, but isn't there some eight-man football in Vermont?

6. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I am not sure how they do it, but I know they usually play them in the first couple of weeks, thus they have time to get ready for them.

The team is very good and usually has a turn out of about 20-25 players for the team. However, they have dipped to 12-15 in some cases. It is not your typical small school either (i.e. it is not Saint Mary's of the Archbishop Academy or Podunk Catholic, etc etc), it is a school for foster kids. I made the mistake once when talking to the coach of saying...
    "Make sure you call in all your games coach, because if you don't Jimmy Runningback's mom is going to call asking why her son's stats aren't in the paper." He said I wouldn't have to worry about that. D'oh... I was just so used to saying my little speech when coaches call, I didn't think about the fact that they don't have parents.

Anyway, some of their players even continue on to play JC ball and that is why the coach has them play 11-man teams. That and he one day hopes to get them to the 11-man level because as you can plain see, they are dominating the 8-man and they are finding it hard to get games around here.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Same with Kansas....one of the games last year was 89-54.

So..........he's not afraid to give up some points.

Draft saved Draft deleted