1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God damn kids won't get off my lawn, or out of our office

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Small Town Guy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

I understand an occasional emergency, but to regularly bring the kid in for a whole shift? Crazy. But the dog thing is worse. It's an office! Leave the pets at home!

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Some guy brought his snake into my library yesterday. Wrapped around his neck. He got pissed when I booted him.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

You didn't work at a small family-owned paper in north-central Illinois did you?

Sounds like your former shop and my former shop may have been the same place. Our publisher was married and had no kids, but a couple dogs, and he would bring his dogs to the office all the time, no matter how uncomfortable (and shitty) it would get in there.

While people would have framed photos of their kids and families on their desk, he had large, framed photos of his dogs everywhere in his office and on his desk. I'm talking probably a dozen large pics of each dog staring at you.

At Christmas time, we would have a little holiday party and he would clip antlers on the dogs and have the guy dressed as Santa take them around as his reindeer.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wasn't aware of any troublesome sorts at my shops. There was a teacher at a middle school I went to for a couple of years overseas. Brought his large dog to work with him, but the dog was very easygoing and very well-behaved. Never had a problem with him, and neither did anyone else.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

At a former stop one coworker sometimes had his spoiled-brat teenage daughter and/or his seriously depressed teenage son in the office for awhile. They were both delightful.

There was also a news-side desker who sometimes brought his dog into the office. Once this rather large dog took a gigantic dump right next to the desk of our most prickly sports desker; it was very difficult not to laugh at his resulting meltdown.

6. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Sports editor at my place brought his family into work to eat ice cream with him in a conference room. One of the kids puked everywhere. He went back to work at his desk while someone from circulation cleaned up. No shame whatsoever.

Draft saved Draft deleted