1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Bless YouTube (Miscellaneous version)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 7, 2006.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Seperately, wow that Jon Stewart thing got me choked up, even now. First time I'd ever seen it.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, because at that moment, everybody knew exactly what was going on.

I know the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the smoke rising from the first WTC building was: Terrorists are flying commercial jets into prominent buildings, probably got three or four hijacked.

Damn. You saw the guy's camera angle. He got a split-second look at the plane flying in. If the guy blinked, he woulda missed it. And then there was no way to tell that the other tower was burning.

Tough to call an anchor out for wanting to make sure he got the story straight before sending the country into mass panic. But that's just me.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here. I started watching it, realized it was 8 minutes, tried to cut away, tried to cut away, tried to cut away ... and just couldn't. He made me cry, dammit. Wow. Loves me some Jon Stewart.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

As a producer, you have to be in the guy's piece, not letting him twist in the wind.

5. KP

KP Active Member

The second tower gets hit at 1:24 of the clip as the camera is being cut from a tight shot of the first tower to a helicopter shot from WABC and it is difficult to differenciate the two towers. 2:27 the anchor mentions that a producer brings up the idea of a second plane hitting the second tower and also adds he didn't want to speculate. The anchor was also trying to disconnect from someone on the street contributing to the delay. The camera shot for the bulk of the time was from the helicopter and it was impossible to see a second tower from that angle.

6. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Is Letterman's heartfelt monologue from after 9-11 on there?

That little kid getting hit in the head by the buzzer-beater is the best thing ever. Poor little guy.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Didn't Letterman have a great moment with Rather, too?

Found it... incredible.

The points of view then ... juxtaposed against what happened to Rather, for instance....

And, the emotions... wow

8. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Boy, yeah, some people said it was unprofessional but I thought it was sweet.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Letterman's monologue

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And of course there's the guy who tried to cancel his AOL account and the ensuing interview.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

One of my all time favorite videos (and yes I am living in the past):

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Money.

Draft saved Draft deleted