1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Bless You Warren Moon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Wheel Gunner, Aug 6, 2006.

1. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

You want uncomfortable: In a Seattle Times feature earlier this week, Moon says he was toying with the idea of his ex-wife (the woman he was arrested for abusing) presenting him for induction. Story says he thought better because it might be seen as disprespecting his current wife.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsour...y?slug=moon30&date=20060730&query=Warren+Moon

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We were just talking about the Moon/spousal abuse thing in here, in light of reading that story.

Seems to me Warren, being as articulate as he was, as well as he carried himself, was about as close to bullet-proof as an athlete could be ... until the day he was accused of striking his wife. That is the one taboo that nobody can excuse, the one thing which is going to sway public opinion about you.

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Not a player, but Bud Grant is in both Halls as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Grant

(And Wikipedia has it so it must be true.)

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

May the celestial stars in the celestial heavens bless bestow good things upon you, IJAG.

Keenan McCardell was a rookie on the 1992 Cleveland Browns.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Now those are some deep thoughts.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

14:57 ... 14:58 ...

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not just because it's in Wikipedia, but it is in fact true. Grant and Moon are the only two people in both football halls of fame.

Grant is a very interesting guy. He's in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum as a builder, but he was an all-conference receiver in three of the four years he played in the CFL. He also played defence and made five interceptions during a playoff game in his first season, a CFL record that still stands.

Prior to joining Winnipeg, he spent two seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles and also played two seasons in the NBA with the Minneapolis Lakers, who won the championship in both years.

Interesting fact that JR will hate me for -- Grant is infamous for going 0-4 in the Super Bowl with the Vikings, but he coached Winnipeg to four Grey Cup championships and every one of them came against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. ;D

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I believe Marv Levy is in both halls too, no?

9. I hate to say it but my lasting impression of Warren Moon is from a game where he threw an interception but made no attempt to tackle the guy who was returning the pick.

The guy ran right past Moon. It still bugs me that he made no effort to tackle that guy.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

QBs do that all the time, though.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Levy is in Canton but not in Hamilton. He won two Grey Cups with Montreal but he only coached in Canada for five seasons (Grant was here for 10 years), so it might be tough to justify inducting him here.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Didn't some cameraman from Erie, Pa. get plowed on the sideline and was paralyzed in that game?

I saw it on 20/20 or Dateline many years ago, I think he successfully sued the NFL over it.

It's forgotten now, but when the Oilers laid down for the Browns in that 1988 game, it kept the Colts out of the playoffs after they had three out of four long-shot scenarios come through, including a last-minute victory over the division champion Bills (still the loudest I've ever heard the RCA Hoosier Dome).

Indy fans weren't standing for Glanville, et al, after that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted