1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God bless C-SPAN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jul 10, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I guess the question I would ask you is this: What duties can the President not perform while on the road? He can sign bills into law anywhere. He can read intelligence reports, etc. He can do pretty much anything the job requires.

A Senator, on the other hand, has to be in the Senate building to cast his votes.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Politicians shouldn't be able to run for office while they hold a different office.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I understand the sentiment but that's like saying you can't look for a new job while you still have one.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nah, they should. Much better for them to be in the limelight, in public office when going for another position. I'm not going to quit my job to pursue another job -- but I would quit my job to take another one.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Outside of voting, a Senator can do his same job, talking to constituents, reading his mail, drawing up legislation. Both Bush and Kerry were running for president while being paid on the taxpayer's dime. My issue (and Kerry was doing it too) is that Bush was attending fundraisers for other pols in his party while on the taxpayer's dime. Yet Bush was the one who was complaining about Kerry.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Maybe when they get telephones, fax, or e-mail in the Senate they can authorize members to vote from a different location.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They have a crappy MIS guy.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The president is the recognized head of his party...part of his job. A senator's job is to legislate.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought the president is the recognized head of the ENTIRE country, not just his party.

And with your argument, a senator running for president can be seen as the recognized head of his party as well (McCain and Obama). So, either the two candidates sit at home, like Abe Lincoln did in the old days and just meet people at their houses, or they move around the country. What I was pointing out was that Bush was ignoring the fact that he was running around the country on the taxpayer's dime, but ripping on Kerry for doing the same.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Charlie Rangel certainly feels the pain of the aerage American as he lives in 4 rent controlled apartments.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

True, but you also wouldn't ignore your job while still getting paid for at least a year in pursuit of the new one.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

That's fine but there is about 65 other sons of bitches and witches that didn't show up to vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted