1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOAT, RB CATEGORY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Enlighten me, O wise one.

Who would be your top 10 running backs of all time?

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

AP definitely belongs in the top 10.

And given that so many teams are utilizing split backfields more frequently, is it worth asking whether the days of the dominant running back are ending, or do we simply need to rethink what makes a great RB as the game has evolved?

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I always thought of Faulk as the prototype running back going forward in today's game.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I thought about adding in Christian Okoye, Joe Morris, and Curt Warner just for shits and giggles.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

And how many guys have done that consistently over the past eight years or so?

BTW, those were Marshawn Lynch's numbers this season. And Adrian Peterson's.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fair point.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Before we anoint Peterson No. 11 ...

Curtis Martin very quietly put together a very, very good career. He was overshadowed by Smith and Sanders, but he was always fun to watch. He averaged 1,280 yards and eight touchdowns. Also caught an average of 44 passes a season for 302 yards. That's nearly 1,600 yards from scrimmage for 11 seasons.

Certainly honorable mention material. And I would take him over Thurman Thomas 10 times out of 10.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Gore has finished in the top five in rushing yards or yards from scrimmage one time, and that was seven years ago.

He is very consistent and the 49ers use him wisely to keep his legs alive for the playoffs. It is the prototype of the new system being discussed here. But he doesn't qualify as a "big name" by the measure Chef is using.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Where's O.J.?

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Now that I look at Thurman Thomas' numbers, he belongs nowhere near the top 15.

And I consider Frank Gore to be a big-name back at this point. He's the 49ers all-time leading rusher, which certainly must account for something in a time when all QBs do is throw.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That's what we need to enrich conversation - more top ten lists.

Draft saved Draft deleted