1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go the F*ck to the Library

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 21, 2011.

1. Good advice for stupid people

http://www.gothefucktothelibrary.com/

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Without clicking the link, I give this advice all the time for different mentoring I do.

Quite seriously, most people have no idea what I am talking about. I've even had people ask me the Web address of the library.

The research section is your friend, kids.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me. Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world, but what about that kid, sitting down, opening a book, right now, in a branch at the local library and finding drawings of pee-pees and wee-wees on the Cat in the Hat and the Five Chinese Brothers? Doesn't HE deserve better?"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't judge a man by the length of his hair or the kind of music he listens to. Rock was never my bag. But
    you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I grew up in libraries. My mom is a children's librarian.

Other kids got toys for Xmas, I got books. I love the library.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good site.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I fucking love the library. Greatest place on Earth.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I love libraries, but several of the examples are woefully outdated. And anyone competent enough to find the site probably doesn't require a library for most of the functions listed.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I think of the Library Cop every time I see John Boehner on TV.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Almost my entire career is based on the fact that I go to the library and find things other people have not.

Years ago when I worked at the Boston Public Library I developed a reputation as the "go to" guy for sports research. I would regularly get queries from sports writers, both locally and nationally. They all expected me to do the work for them, so they could just show up and have it all there. Or send their assistant to pick it up.

Well, all but one, who did his own research and only wanted to be pointed in the right direction.

David Halberstam.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Bubbler is starting a similar site, getafuckinghaircut.com

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

As a librarian who bought your most recent book for his library's collection, that is neat to hear, Glenn. Hell, as a regular person that's neat to hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted