1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go back?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Panhandle PK, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Panhandle PK

Panhandle PK Member

So I keep hearing a lot of people say, "Go back to school!" "Get out now"

The question is... would it be even wise to go back to get a Masters in Journalism?

2. Written Off

Written Off New Member

Do you want to teach journalism for a living?
    If not, do not, under any circumstances, go back for a Master's in journalism.
    Go back to business school. Go to law school. Go to engineering school.
    Do not waste any more money on journalism.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There are a lot of lawyers who were once journalists. Do not, unless like WO said you want to teach journalism, get a journalism masters. It's junk.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No.

5. Panhandle PK

Panhandle PK Member

I assume by teaching it, I would need a PhD on top of a masters?

I'm HORRIBLE at Math...so Business/Law/Engineering are all out of the question...

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You certainly have a lot of questions. We should get you some blue stickies at the top of the page.

Go to a local community college and get some courses on HTML, CSS and photoshop. If you are at an intermediate level for those items you could always be a valuable member of the web team. Web jobs are the only ones safe in this economic climate.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, unless you're talking about adding up fees, this shouldn't necessarily kill you in law.

No to the Masters degree, again, unless you want to teach it.

I don't think you need a PhD for that.

8. Panhandle PK

Panhandle PK Member

Thanks. I do enjoy asking questions...
    Perhaps a Masters degree in Public Relations?

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd go with the advice listed above. If you want to teach journalism, a masters is essential. However, if you don't plan that route, it's a waste of time.

When I was at The Diamondback, I mused out loud about possibly going to grad school for journalism since my undergrad degree was in English. To that point, I'd taken exactly one college level journalism course, at my community college. That was about seven years prior to my time at The Diamondback.

To a person, each of my Diamondback colleagues told me I'd be wasting my time. Having gone through the J-school curriculum, they said my background and experience at that point taught me what the curriculum would have. I might still go in so I can teach journalism, but I don't know how much help a masters degree would be.

So that's my take on the idea of going to grad school for journalism. If you have an undergraduate degree in journalism, the only thing going to grad school does is postpone your time in the "real world."

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was in your same shoes a year ago. Had no idea what way to go. Law school, masters, teaching degree... instead I ended up learning some computer stuff and now I am valuable for my writing skills as well as my computer skills.

11. If you're under 25 and can get into Columbia, you should seriously consider it. As the business contracts, the big shops are going to be more and more selective about the credentials of who they give a shot to. I know there is an opposite school of thought about if you're bright and have clips and can report they'll find you, yada, yada, yada. I don't buy it. Not if you want to work somewhere like the NYT or the Washington Post or the Chicago Tribune. Of course, not everyone does, and that's OK, too.

But you should also give yourself a time limit afterward for making it big, after which you should go to law or business school. Perhaps somewhere in the 30-35 range, depending on where you are in life. With a good LSAT score, you can get into some damned good state schools for next-to-no tuition.

12. JackS

JackS Member

It's junk? Do you have one?

I can understand the broader sentiment that this may not be the greatest time to be spending money on the journalism profession, but a master's degree can open up a lot of opportunities you wouldn't otherwise get.

Draft saved Draft deleted