1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gloria Steinem isn't dead and whines like a ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's possible that people just dislike Hillary without dismissing all female candidates.

I don't think I'm a racist, but I thought Jesse Jackson was a piss-poor Presidential candidate and I would never vote for him.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

I really think you gals are wrong. ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I understand that, Smasher, but what about those who think the governor of Alaska is nothing more than a MILF? Or this Letter to the Editor, which ran in the (N.Y.) Post-Star regarding pregnant Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.)? There are a lot of people who think like this, and it's scary.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2007/12/20/opinion/letters/13187860.txt

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Depends on the region of the country. One I know of still suffers more from racism than sexism.

5. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I thought it was a pretty good column, actually.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I said from the beginning that most of those I was hearing from were living in the past. In 2008, at least as many, probably more, people will vote for someone because they are black or female than will vote against them. I still think this is true, and Iowa with its miniscule black population proves part of that. Turns out that the wing of the countries that can't let go of the 60s has it perfect: If Hillary wins, we're racist, if Obama wins we're sexist. I bet if they tie, we're both.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Come on, Ron Blachut is so fucking dumb he doesn't deserve any consideration. Those are the letters you read, mumble, "shitforbrains" and give thanks that you don't know anybody that stupid.

There are a lot of people who think every football game is fixed, that government agents are going to confiscate their guns and that water flouridation is a Communist plot. There are people forming militias to fight off the black helicopters. There are extremists on every side of every issue. There are people who will dismiss Hillary out of hand because of her gender, just as there were people who wouldn't vote for JFK because he was Catholic. What can you do?

If Hillary loses, maybe it's time to look at what points she built her campaign around rather than her gender. I doubt I would vote for Hillary because her message hasn't connected with me. That doesn't mean I'll automatically discount a female candidate.

To me there's a certain arrogance in assuming a loss by her is a referendum on gender. Could be that she's just a mediocre candidate who's being outdone by people who have a more appealing platform.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Darn. I just came here for the picture of Diane Lane and it's gone. Off I go into my insecurity!

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd like to take a moment to apologize to 21 and all of the other women on the site I offended by posting a photo of Diane Lane. It was in response to Zeke's post suggesting either Elizabeth Edwards or Michelle Obama would make better candidates than HRC.

With that said, by the time the Gloria Steinem's op-ed was published I had already grown tired of the suggestion that I must be sexist because I currently rank John Edwards and Barack Obama ahead of HRC among the seriously flawed group of candidates from which my party is choosing its candidate. It's insulting. We don't need affirmative action within the Democratic party; we need quality candidates, regardless of gender.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I don't think I agree with everything Gloria Steinem wrote here, but I certainly am glad she isn't dead, and I don't think she's whining.
    The guy who started this thread -- go back and read the piece that made her famous, where she went undercover as a Playboy Bunny, many many years ago. Then ask yourself if you've ever written anything that good, or important.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There is an undeniable underlying sexism... even misogyny ... that breezes just under the surface in our country. It's like that micro disturbance just beneath the surface of the salty sea, destined to mutate into a leviathan tsunami.

There are various behaviors that if a woman engages in, is considered a negative, while when a man does it, it is considered a plus.

Undeniably true.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's not sexism -- it's a hot dog in the Notre Dame press box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.