1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Globe story on former BC noseguard Mike Ruth's troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2007/07/22/living_in_a_downward_spiral/?p1=MEWell_Pos3

It's funny, just a while ago I was wondering what became of him. I'm not sure whether or not to feel sorry for him.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I still remember the story SI did on him while he was at BC....

dayum

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Talk about a story with no protagonist.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Globe did not mention but I wonder if Ruth had an concussions at BC or when he played in the NFL.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A very good question.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

You'd think that would be a pretty obvious question to ask, eh? It would also be a pretty obvious thing for Ruth to bring up if he's trying to win public sympathy.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bob Hohler writes a lot of good stories.

Tough to be sympathetic when he refuses to discuss the steroid issue -- "the whole topic is not worth getting into." Hey, if you want positive press, especially in this ugly a scenario, come clean. This shouldn't be about your agenda.

Slappy, I remember that article. The photo made him look like a freaking monster.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, he had his shirt off and his chest looked cartoon-size... I seem to remember him holding a girlfriend, who looked toy-doll like in a size comparison.
    And the article dealt with how he was so torn to play football because of his desire to be a priest.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Six kids. Sad.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At least he has lived up to one of the basic laws of catholicism.

11. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Yeah, he had his shirt off and his chest looked cartoon-size... I seem to remember him holding a girlfriend, who looked toy-doll like in a size comparison.
    And the article dealt with how he was so torn to play football because of his desire to be a priest.
    [/quote]

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember that the photo in question was of him holding his mother, who had some type of debiliating condition...the memory, she goes

Draft saved Draft deleted