1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glenwood Springs PI sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by effinyorks, Jun 18, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Where did this word come from? And why is any newspaper on the planet using it?

2. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

It must be a test to see how detail-oriented applicants are. Ha.

3. Zak Brown

Zak Brown New Member

Carbondale is cheaper, I think, and about 30 minutes away from Glenwood. It's great rafting, although the Colorado is running pretty high right now. Good fly fishing, too. This probably isn't a job for someone with a family, but it would be fun for a single person. And the snow isn't as bad as Pacific Coast snow. It's just part of life, like a lot of other places in the country. Also, Doc Holliday met his end there, which is pretty cool.

4. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

Carbondale really isn't any cheaper, as it's even closer to Aspen and its insane COL than Glenwood. And Carbondale's only about 12 miles down the road from GWS, a 15-minute drive maybe.

5. jren3333

jren3333 New Member

How severe are the winters? Are we talking blizzards January?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You're in the mountains. It gets cold and it snows in the winter.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yes, it snows, sometimes quite considerably, though Glenwood's not as high as, say, Vail or Aspen (a little less than 6,000 versus around 8,000). You'd still be able to get around Glenwood most of the time -- though driving home at 3 a.m. might be dicey. You just might not be able to go anywhere else for a day or two at a time.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Some interviewers will ask you about the climate. If you can't handle the weather in the winter, they'll show you the door.

9. outdoors

outdoors Member

I lived in Rifle for a short time a few years ago, and I always thought it was pretty easy to manage in the winter and it is cheaper to live in, barely (I had a 1/1 for around $900 back then). I remember the winters to and from Rifle to Glenwood to be pretty easy, and you always have that bus system that runs well in the winter. But, then again, with gas prices, might be too far to commute.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Glendwood's expensive. I checked the classifieds on the PI's Web site and it will be tough to find a place for under a $1000/month and that's for a small shack.

There's even an ad from the new HS football coach trying to find a house for his family.

Glenwood is pretty and only about three hours from Denver.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

They do have hot springs there.

Draft saved Draft deleted