1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glen Mason to the white courtesy phone, please

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Dec 31, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Had to look twice... I thought this post was from Starman...

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If I only had one-tenth of Starman's ... anger?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

wicked --

That's just spectacular logic right there. Minnesota is destined to be the worst team in the Big Ten because...?

Nobody is expecting 11-1. If Mason simply wins the games he should have won, he still has a job. Simple as that. Blow a 30-point lead to Texas Tech, you don't get to keep your job.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What's really stunning when you stop and look at it is that every team in the Big Ten has been to the Rose Bowl at least once since Minnesota's last trip in 1962. And every school except Northwestern, Penn State and Indiana has been there at least twice in that span.

Illinois, Iowa, Purdue and Michigan State have multiple Rose Bowl appearances in the last 44 years yet Minnesota has made none.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

This AD needs to be fired more than any AD in the country. Doesn't pull the trigger on Monson, then forces him out, essentially shitting away an entire season. If you are willing to can a guy in November for ANY on-court reason, you better nut up and do it in March/April. Then he extends Mason only to fire him a year later. I agree that both needed to go, but this guy has all the vision of Stevie Wonder and has no business as an AD. He just turned his two biggest revenue sports into sucking chest wounds.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Football does not qualify as one of the two biggest revenue sports at Minnesota.

Other than that, we're in agreement.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I am not familiar with the landscape, but wouldn't the bowl and TV money alone put it ahead of hockey?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nope. The bowl money from the bowls they go to barely pays the travel expenses to and from the game.

Hockey is a cash cow, selling out every night with the higest ticket prices and with newer luxury suites.

O of M also makes nothing for parking or concessions at Gopher football games, to my knowledge.

Hockey also leads the way in merchandise sold.

At least it did when I was still on top of such things...

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Doesn't the Big 11 share bowl revenue?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think they do, but I don't know if they do equally.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Football and men's basketball revenue at the U dwarfs hockey revenue.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's what I'm having trouble figuring out from that link -- is it factoring everything in?

For instance, is the coaching staff salary, etc, factored in?

If so, I sit corrected. But the athletic department numbers from when I covered U of M always showed hockey and men's hoops turning a profit and football breaking even.

Draft saved Draft deleted