1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glavine's deja vu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ah yes, that was his World Series MVP year. I forgot about that. Too many beers ago.
    Well, how did the Mets win their one game?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The worst I have is a Cecil Fielder -- well, other than my John Franco.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I also have the 1990 New York Mets roster, complete with Kevin McReynolds, Frank Viola and Davey Johnson.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Too bad the fuck couldn't hit or run the bases or not be an asshole to reporters.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He hit a few homers with Tampa Bay, though.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Rick Reed was real solid and Armando Benitez somehow set the Yankees down in the 9th without shitting his pants right there on the mound. Exception that proves the rule and all that.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks BYH, I thought it was one of the Joneses that had a big performance, but maybe I am thinking of the NLCS.

And I agree with 'beat. I think Piazza's homer after 9-11 was pretty fucking badass as far as Mets' moments are concerned - well other than that one time that pussy Clemens threw a bat at that pussy Piazza.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Alas, I did not have this one:

[​IMG]

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Two things about Glavine. First, when the Mets clinched the division title in 2006, and the locker room was celebrating, SNY interviewed him. His demeanor was basically speaking about the players on the Mets as "they" as in "they have a right to celebrate". The whole thing made it seem like he was still a member of the Braves and shouldn't join in the celebration.

Second, it is hard to imaging a player coming up smaller than he did when it counted this season. A career is defined by moments like that and nothing that he ever did as a Met matters in the least compared to that abomination.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sorry to interrupt, but I think there's a huge story here. Didn't he turn down like a $13 million player option? He gave up $5 million (and I don't think he misread the market) because he hated NY so much? I guess it's not always about the money. Mets owe him a thank you card.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Given that he put his house in Greenwich on the market mid-summer, it was pretty clear that he had made up his mind not to return.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Perhaps I should let it go, but I'm not sure I'm all that happy about the GRTB returning. If he hadn't left, there's an argument to be made that the Braves' division title streak would be intact. They'd almost certainly have won it in 2007 with him in their rotation instead of the stiffs they had at the back end. But he never should have left.

Draft saved Draft deleted