1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glavine, Maddux & Smoltz

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Well, if you want to say that and disregard the longevity, then take it account the stats where Morris has the advantage. IMO, he has a 4-2 advantage in the stats that really matter (CG, SHO, WHIP, K/BB vs IP and ERA).

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He shouldn't.

3. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Morris vs. Glavine isn't even debatable. Morris never even had a season with an ERA under 3.00.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Maybe I should break it down so you can see it better...

Morris - CG, SHO, WHIP, K/BB
    Glavine - IP, ERA

I know CGs and SHOs are compiled, but when a player can have those kind of numbers in four less season, they deserve to be there. Just like I am counting Glavine's IP.

So yes, I do care to try again and I think I explained it a little better this time.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Overlooked on the thread so far is that Smoltz will almost certainly surpass 3,000 strikeouts before April is over (he has 2,975), a remarkable number considering the stint in the bullpen.

6. Rumpleforeskin

I'm just using the stats you provided to make a case for Morris. I am not a Morris fan by any stretch or a Glavine-hater, but I appreciate baseball.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Strikeouts, you say?

Say, who has the most K's without being in? ;) ;) ;)

That's as close as I'll come until it's near voting time again, I promise.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Smoltz is an oddball case to me. He's been a great pitcher and an important pitcher and one of the greatest postseason pitchers of all time. On the other hand, how many seasons does he have that you look at and say, "Wow, that's a Hall of Fame season?" 1996, sure. 2003? ok

After that, there's not many. Plenty of nice, 16-9, 15-11 years, a 17-3 season in an injury year.

He probably gets in because ESPN has anointed him a Hall of Famer and he's not a bad pick, but I'm not convinced he's any better a candidate than a dozen other guys who won't get in.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Smoltz's dominance was always underplayed because of the fact he pitched behind Glavine and Maddux. The guy is an absolute lock to get in.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What he said (since he can definitely argue this stuff better than I can). And unlike buckweaver, I hated those Braves teams.

12. Rumpleforeskin

[​IMG]

Yeah, yeah, I know about Joe Carter and the Division titles.

Draft saved Draft deleted