1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glad I'm not in China

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Horrible story. Always amazed at the stupidity of government -- every type of government.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_...s-in-anti/20060801000009990001?_ccc=6&cid=842

SHANGHAI, China (Aug. 2) - China slaughtered 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered crackdown after three people died of rabies, sparking unusually pointed criticism in state media Tuesday and an outcry from animal rights activists.

The five-day slaughter in Mouding county in Yunnan province in southwestern China ended Sunday and spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, state media reported.

Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported. Led by the county police chief, killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then beat the animals to death, the reports said.

Owners were offered 63 cents per animal to kill their own dogs before the teams were sent in, they said.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As someone that hates to hear about any form of cruelty, no matter the animal, I can only state that they have a different perspective on pets over there. Mind you, it isn't everyone, but the general consesus is different.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Glad I'm not a dog in China.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

What, this isn't about Sean Waltman?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What the fuck are people going to eat now!? (Had to be said)

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Dog, duh. There's 50,000 of them marinating now. :-[

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Does that mean it's a good day for cats there? :-\

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

That's kinda what I was saying, what with the screen name and all.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The only other thing I would point out is that this did not occur nationwide. It was relegated to a small segment where the population is minimal and the area is nothing but small villages.

While the beatings are incredibly cruel, their only other option for the termination of these dogs would have been via a needle. Since they already demonstrated that they don't feel like putting a needle in each dog to kill off rabies, they chose the cheaper option of beating.

It sucks all around.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

dog428,

as awful as this story is, we're glad you're not in china now, too.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think PETA should invade the country.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Maybe the Chinese could beat them in the streets with sticks, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted