1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving notice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CradleRobber, Apr 28, 2010.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As a manager, let me say that I want all the warning I can get.

Three weeks should be time enough, if a supervisor is quick on his/her feet, to post a job and maybe find a proper candidate. Thus, you might cut your time in limbo without having that position filled down to a week or two or three. It never works like that, of course, and some newsrooms count on the "savings" to be realized in the float between paying somebody a salary. In a big enough operation, that can add up, I guess.

The one time I was invited to "quit or be fired," however, let me note that I wasn't given two weeks to think about it. I had 10 minutes.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The last time I moved on, I gave what amounted to three weeks. They still didn't fill the position for another month, though. If you have a spaz of a boss, you could give them six months, and they still wouldn't find a replacement for you in time.

And good luck to you on the move. I'm glad to see you're moving on to better things.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The last time I voluntarily moved on, I gave them two weeks, then agreed to stay an extra half-day to show the new guy around. My bosses really appreciated it.

Draft saved Draft deleted