1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving homeless people beer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, May 23, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So last night we had a function at work and my payment was the leftover beer.
    So I'm walking to the parking deck and two homeless dudes are chilling and getting out of the rain.
    So I'm carrying a box and they ask me for change. I tell them I don't have any money, but I can give them some beer and I pull a couple of cans out, then a couple more. So they both have two each.
    And I go on my merry way.
    So the question is, was this a good thing or not?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In most cases, it's the same as giving them cash.

I will almost never give a homeless person money. I'll happily ask them what they want to eat and go buy it for them. Some are gracious about it and some are offended...

If being offered free food offends someone then fuck em...

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Be sure and check the police reports to see if they were busted for drinking in public.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You added a little comfort to their evening, so I say good on ya.

Now, if you had walked into an AA meeting and made the same offer, that's no so good.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Give 'em beer but don't try to buy a pregnant, homeless woman a meal at a Tim Hortons in Toronto. More bad PR for my fave coffee chain which canned - and eventually rehired - an employee a couple of weeks back beacuse she gave a crying child a Timbit.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/429178

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

All you did was save them a trip to the store, Jay.

7. JayFarrar

Maybe, but on the karma front, I think it must have helped.
    Went to a media thing at lunch today and one of the girls helping out, who I knew a little, well we started talking and she ended up asking me out.

8. the fop

the fop Member

some years ago, on a bachelor party weekend tied to a cubs homestand, one of the geniuses decided a couple hours at the bar followed by three hours in the bleachers wasn't enough drinking, so we needed a 12-pack for the el ride. so like three of us had one beer each. we're coming off the train and a dude's jingling for change. i hand him a box with nine semi-cold budweisers. it was like christmas morning.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

You must have given them non-Light beer. That's why the karma thing worked out for you.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not sure, Jay. I'll ask the homeless community later. Apparently, I'm supposed to see them on my "way down."

11. JayFarrar

Gave them four Bud Lights.
    Two each.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought you said you gave them beer.

Draft saved Draft deleted