1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Given free rein, how would you respond?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I tried clicking on the word point, but I keep missing it.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My favorite in this instance:

"Why don't you go outside and play 'Hide-and-Go-Fuck-Yourself.' "

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Having worked a HS swimming beat for the last four years, hey the kids are great to talk to and we have swimmers who go on to Auburn, Georgia, U.S. Youth National team here, I have been able to condition the parents into understanding their role in the stratosphere. They know if you schedule a conference or postseason meet that isn't the state championships on a Friday, it's not going to get covered. They have in turn moved them to any other day of the week, except for those who aren't that bothered whether they get much coverage anyway.

That said, when we had two swimmers both win their seventh career state titles on the same night this season, those above me decided to put it out front because they're mini-names in the community now, and are people we'll be following in the future.

4. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

As someone else said, people want fucking scrapbook material. If I wanted to do that, I'd open one of those quaint little scrapbooking stores in the downtown shopping area and probably make more money overcharging stupid people for shit they don't need.

If journalism turns to that, would any of us really want any part of it?

5. moonlight

moonlight Member

I've been through this. Usually it's about soccer (it's not a huge deal in my part of the map).

Here's what I would tell these swimming freaks:
    We are in the business of providing our readers with information they would like to read about (and yes, it is a business). We are not in the business of patting people on the back or helping athletes gain college scholarships. Now, take last night's swim meet at your school and subtract every person from the stands who was either related to a swimmer or a close friend of a swimmer. The number of people you left gives you an accurate gauge of how important swimming is in your community. That's why swimming is on Page 3 and college basketball is on Page 1.

Then I'd thank her for calling, hang up, and motherfuck her until she can't be motherfucked anymore.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'll put it front, but I must have $10,000 cash in a yellow envelope delivered to me within 24 hours.

7. MindlessBayless

MindlessBayless New Member

WI --

Your job is to put the things that are most newsworthy on the front page. If swimming isn't as newsworthy in your area as the other sports, then you shouldn't even feel guilty about this.

Prime example: Listen to national sports radio shows and tell me how many of them talk about regular season hockey. Your answer: Not many. Why? Because, in general, it's not as popular as other sports. Only time you hear about it is when Bertuzzi tries to decapitate a guy.

Don't take it personal. Send this person back a message saying you appreciate their input and move on.

8. You must have never worked for Gannett.

9. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Draft saved Draft deleted