1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me the chestnuts, hold the open fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 26, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I did, to photographically challenge this rhetorical gem: What greater purpose does earth have than giving the human race a place to live?

I'll leave the more dire question of what to do with the "eco-whackos" and "commie lovers" to you.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, then you failed in your challenge. So I ask again, what purpose does earth have if there are no humans?

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

San Francisco and love of God is one hell of a dichotomy.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The photo was meant to illustrate the following point:

- If, indeed, the earth's "purpose" is to harbor human life, how is it in our interest - and how does it honor that "purpose" - to despoil the planet? Or to kill ourselves?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know this much: Having the occasional fire in a fireplace is not despoiling the planet or killing us. Those who say it is are either liars or extremely gullible.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Ever notice how zeke struggles with statements from not just one - but several? Perhaps, Zekie, you need to take a look at your own lobes.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Check that. Get an expert in the field to check it. And that's not your expert-in-everything fellow poster lover. :)

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

That's not true. The European environmental community was very upset about Chernobyl and Communist eastern Europe during the 1980s. Of course, in those countries there wasn't a free press or opportunity to protest. Anybody familiar with environmental issues will tell you Chernobyl was a bigger disaster than Three Mile Island.

After six years of the Bush administration undoing environmental laws and putting industry people in charge of regulation, the US doesn't have the most environmental regulation.

And I don't recall Ronald Reagan complaining about what the Soviets and their client states did to the environment.

Draft saved Draft deleted