1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me someone to root for in the Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 27, 2012.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

USA volleyball player Destinee Hooker.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hope's taken off a whole lot more than Brandi ... just not on the pitch.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Closest thing our area has to an Olympic hopeful is Ganna Demydova, who will compete in the triple jump for Ukraine. She attends Southern Miss and was the NCAA champion this spring in fairly controversial fashion.

A girl from Kansas thought she'd won the event, and had even been told she won, but Southern protested that she fouled on her winning jump, which she did by about an inch. The protest was upheld and Demydova was declared the winner. KU fans apparently thought that was dirty pool.

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Perhaps one for Star Wars fans, U.S. archer Jacob Wukie. I don't know if his name is really pronounced the way I think it is, though.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Chastain's bunch may have been the trailblazers, but don't discount how well Solo's group has advanced the cause.

And as long as Hope continues to appear in the Body Issue, she can say any ol' thing she wants to.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Jake Herbert. They talked about it on Stern this week. most agree it could become the most famous Baba Booey reference if he wins gold, the most famous is the prank caller during the OJ Bronco chase.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's probably just me, but the Baba Booey gag ran its course long ago. Makes me roll my eyes rather than laugh.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Say this for Hope Solo. She may be a mouthy b****, but she came up big in the gold medal game. She was the difference.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

She's absolutely the best female goalie in the world. No question. She's a great player.

I just tire of her need to self-promote combined with an appallingly thin skin. The attack on Chastain was silly, and she just does too much of that "Haters only make me stronger!" crap.

I understand the need to self-promote. It's not like she's raking in money as a professional soccer player. But when you're desperately trying to be controversial in the middle of a major tournament -- coinciding with the release of your book -- it really rubs me the wrong way.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think if anyone has valid reasons to have a lifelong "me-against-the-world" chip on her shoulder, it's her.

Hell, she was kidnapped at the age of 6 by her own father. Her whole life's been one drama after another (and not all of it produced by her own big mouth.)

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get that. A lot of her personality issues she comes by honestly.

I just don't have a lot of use for drama queens. She threw a snit about Brandi Chastain not being supportive enough, and Hope is the one who was once kicked off the team for shredding a teammate and her coach in the press. The "me against the world" thing gets to be self-perpetuating. It' not always the world throwing the first punch.

Draft saved Draft deleted