1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me some good baseball trivia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jun 8, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's amazingly low. No higher than a 238 I think. It could be as low as 138.

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Who is the only player to get two hits for two different teams in two cities on the same day?

Joel Youngblood

He had one hit for the Mets at an early afternoon game in Chicago and one hit for the Expos at a night game in Philly after being traded sometime in the late afternoon of August 4, 1982.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Thanks!

4. 93Devil

Connor, who topped at 17 in one season.

I cannot imagine how much baseball changed from the time of Connor to Ruth.

I wonder how many of those 138 never cleared a fence and just rolled all day?

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

And judging where they used to play, it would have really been an inside-the-park home run.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, boy. I guess he's in the Hall in my head.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I always enjoyed these two oddities ...

Q: What's the record for most strikeouts in an inning?
    A: 4, done numerous times

And this isn't really trivia, but it's a pretty good bar bet. You pick out a game from the previous night and say to your buddy, "Man, the Cubs scored more in one inning last night than the Braves did the entire game." As your drunk friend gives a look of astonishment, you say "I bet that happens pretty often, actually." If he bites, you bet $1 per game for a week. If the winning team scores as many or more in one inning than the losing team does in all 9, you win $1. If they don't, your friend gets $1. You'll win. Every day.

8. 93Devil

What team's current mascot is associated with Louis Bierbauer and the Players League?

A: The short-lived Players League folded in December returning all of their players to their original teams. The Pittsburgh franchise deviated from the agreement though and signed second baseman Louis Bierbauer who had originally belonged to the Philadelphia Phillies. After being accused in the papers of being “Pirates” the team adopted the nickname and refused to return Bierbauer to their cross-state rivals.

I never knew this, and I have followed these bums (for the last 15 years at least) my entire life.

I noticed Players League when looking at Connor's stats on BR.com. A few clicks and I came across this gem.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

The single-season record holder before Babe Ruth was Ned Williamson, who hit 27 in 1884 while playing for the Chicago White Stockings, forerunners of the Cubs.

That season, Williamson also became the first man to hit three dingers in a game.

Here's the catch - Chicago's home field had dimensions of 300 feet to centre field and 180 and 196 down the lines. Twenty-five of Williamson's 27 home runs that year were at home - duh. Nevertheless, his accomplishments stand.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Why is Jerry Hill one of the most important names in Pirates history?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Which HOF pitcher never gave up a grand slam in 3,948 career innings?

Jim Palmer

To whom did Sandy Koufax lose his last game?

Jim Palmer

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Only once in MLB history has a team played an entire, official game, but not had any change in the batting averages of its players. When?

Draft saved Draft deleted