1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give Larry Coker credit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good for Coker. Last year, when Clemson players were suspended because of the brawl against South Carolina in '04, the suspensions were spread out and none of them affected their eligibility for any crucial games.

Big shock. Wonder if anyone noticed that when Terry Don Phillips was busy accepting an award as a top-notch AD spin doctor?

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Moss and Moore are both coming off injuries and probably wouldn't play anyway.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I knew there had to be a catch somewhere.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Punished for the Florida A&M game? Who the hell schedules games for the Canes? Jeezum crow.

And I love Coker's name. Coker.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I love me some Coker. Hate me some Bowden.

Fuckabuncha 'noles.

6. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

I don't think Moore was coming off an injury, and Moss would likely have played. I mean, this is FSU, probably the biggest game of the year for the `Canes.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How come?

If Miami isn't Miami anymore, FSU (5 losses in 2005) isn't FSU, either.

8. standman

standman Member

Coker is one of the nicest guys out there and never really lost his persona as an assistant that worked his way up the ranks. That may be his biggest problem. Even though he has a national title, he doesn't have superstar coach attitude.

Miami's program is set up to be a steppingstone to the NFL. Besides, the weather, the city, the action, Miami's reputation for developing NFL-caliber players is what turns players on. The program has been a launching pad for future NFL coaches, but does anybody see Coker on the sidelines of an NFL team as the head man? The honest answer to that is no.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

standman, i agree with that. but if he gets fired from miami after going 9-3 or 8-4 or heck, even 5-7, he'll be at the top of every AD's list. then we'll see if he's winning only because he's in miami or whether he can actually coach. it's not necessarily fair to put that on him but such is life if you're going to coach miami.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Peach Bowl is in the BCS? I must have missed that news flash.

11. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I humbly regret the error.

I stand by my prediction that Miami will look for a new coach if Coker doesn't do something big this year. Anything less than a BCS berth is considered a letdown.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Anything less than a national championship is considered a letdown by Canes fans, the absolute worst in college football. They only sell out for FSU and the occasional game against Florida or Notre Dame, they sell around 5,000 bowl tickets if it's not a 1 vs. 2 game and they're not only pissed off for a couple of 9-3 seasons but they're universally pissed off they lost the brawl at the end of the Peach Bowl game against LSU. In other words, they're not only pissed at 9-3 seasons, they're pissed because Coker isn't thugging it up enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted